Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Meet Mamie

My blog was named after my great grandmother Mamie. I never personally knew Mamie, she died in 1958 before I was born, but I have heard about what a kind woman she was from stories my mother has told me. Mamie was a seamstress and she taught my mother how to sew in the late 1930's on an old treadle sewing machine. Mamie's sewing ability seemed to be a family trait as her father was a tailor (this was the occupation listed for him in the 1880 and 1900 census records). I thought you might enjoy meeting Mamie through some pictures.This is the John Noerr Family circa 1890. Mamie is the young girl seated.

This is Mamie when she was around 18 years old, circa 1898.In this photo Mamie is the woman in all white. My grandfather is the teenage boy next to her. This picture was taken circa 1918.

I love this photo. This is Mamie holding her first grandchild, my mother, in 1929.
This last photo pictures Mamie sometime in the 1950's.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Jane!! Welcome to blogging! I saw the comment you made on Spencer's blog and just wanted to pop by and say Hi!

    I love your vintage craft studio!! What a great spot to create in!!

    We also had a special Mamie in my hubby's family. It was his father's aunt and she raised his dad when her sister couldn't. I did get to meet her and she was precious. One very generous, steadfast, loving soul. A true blessing...like your great grandma.

    I'm looking forward to seeing what you create!! It's nice to meet you, and I hope you have as much fun as I am with blogging!!

    Blessings and hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello~found you through "anything goes". Hope you share your snowmen. Welcome to blogland...its addicting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sweet Jane!
    Hope this extra little comment makes you smile and I hope you notice you have a new little follower...ME! :)
    Once upon a time, I had the phone number to "Bloggers Anonymous" aka "Blogger Addiction Hotline". I would have sent it to you but I must have thrown it away (by accident)...*wink
    Seriously though, those are the coolest photos of your great grandmother! She was beautiful! Oh and that photo of her as a young girl sitting...wouldn't you just LOVE to have her boots today???? {sigh}
    You are so lucky to have those photos in your possession and know the story of their lives. Here I am buying photos of "family members" I don't even know!!! tee hee
    Hope you had a great visit with your sister and I'll stop by again later!!!!
    Have a great weekend~
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh it's me again...the PEST ;)

    I forgot to tell you that I love the fact you named your blog Mamie Jane's after your grandmother...I love love LOVE the name, especially the meaning behind it!!!!!
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing these darling photos of Mamie. That picture of your mother as a baby is so cute! It's great to see the woman behind the name of your blog.
    Smiles,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the photos of your grandmother. Also love your creative space. I have a granddaughter Hattie Jane. If you go to my blog you will see a pic of her. So Im off to explore your blog somemore. Sally

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!