Thursday, July 23, 2009

Welcome to My Studio

Thanks for stopping by and visiting my vintage inspired studio. I am very fortunate to have the use of one of our spare bedrooms as my workspace. The room is about 12' x 12' with a wall of three windows for great sunlight. This room really serves three purposes for me......it's a workspace for my projects, scrapbooking and sewing.....it's a place to display all the collections that I love.....and finally, it's a retreat space to get away for some quiet TV watching or reading.

Take a look around.........I hope you enjoy your visit!

As you enter the room and look to the left you see my family picture wall. This display has pictures dating from around 1890 to the late 1940's. I am the designated family historian and am fortunate to have documented a lot of the stories behind those pictures. Under the picture gallery you will see my old, yet functional, sewing machine. I bought this sewing machine in the spring of 1983 and it is the only sewing machine I have ever needed. The sewing machine sits on an old school desk that came out of my husband's high school when they renovated their stenography classrooms around 1980. The desk itself dates to the 1930's. There are six desk drawers which are great for storing all my sewing notions. Storage shelfs made from wood crates hang to the left of the sewing machine and hold fabric and other craft items.
In the corner to the right of my sewing area sits my Wolfe dress form. I named her Shirley (not exactly sure why). Shirley has sported various outfits but today is going "a la naturale". I was so excited when I spotted Shirley at an antique store a year ago and I knew she had to come home with me. Shirley is standing behind one of my collections....vintage suitcases. I love these old suitcases. They have a great look to them and also make a great place to store some of my little used supplies. Across from my sewing area is my general crafting workspace. I love the antique mail slot I acquired a couple of years ago and it became the jumping off point for my whole workspace. The cubbies are wonderful display spots and the top of the piece was perfect to display the Singer Featherweight sewing machine that my mother purchased in the late 1940's (for $97.00!). She used this machine for years and taught me how to sew on this machine. Behind the machine is a quilt that my mother made for me about 15 years ago. My actual work space is our old bedroom dresser. My husband had a great idea to put a laminate top (prefab from Lowe's) on top of it and it makes a great work surface with lots of storage.

To the right of my work space is a small area that was perfect for an old typewriter table that is now topped with a German wood beer crate. The cubbies in the crate are perfect for my paints, glues, etc. I found two old wood memo boards (kind of like early day clip boards) and they hang above the crate holding some of my stickers and rub-ons.


I had hoped to post more pictures but I am new to blogging and I was having some technical difficulties with uploading my pictures.

Thanks for stopping by.......I plan on visiting all the beautiful studios involved in the party today and look forward to seeing your space as well!

36 comments:

  1. Jane, your space looks so inviting because it's obviously filled with the things you love. The vignette with your mom's sewing machine and quilt over the antique mail slot is perfect. I wouldn't mind finding one of those mail slots for myself. I'd love to curl up in that chair with a book or magazine and plan out my next project. Thank you for sharing your beautiful space, and welcome to the world of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love your suitcases and your dress maker stand. Great creative space you have! Have fun with the blog event and thanks for sharing.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your space is great! It's clean and simple and that is what I strive for. I also love the colors of your blog, you don't look like a newbie! Please visit me and tell me what you think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you joined the party so I could find you! Great Space! Thanks, for sharing! Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chickadee!
    Oh lala I love your space! I love the vintage suite cases!!
    Big mermaid hugs

    toodles-
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to blogland Jane. Glad you decided to join us in the party. I love your getaway room. Does Shirley has a sister that I can adopt. I would really love to have a dressform. I just haven't found the right one yet.
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a really lovely room.
    love your dresser and those old suitcases.
    ~ Tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your space - the cubbyholes, the Featherweight, your sewing area - all of it is wonderful! I am looking for a dressform myself - and my Mom's name is Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a great feel to your studio! What great treasures to have all those family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, what a gorgeous work station!!! That hanging shelf is amazing ~ and I love your ribbon display, mine are all smushed in a box! The dress form in the corner is so beautiful ~ You can never have to many...thank you so much for visiting me today ~ xxoo, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job sharing your space..I would not have guessed you were a new blogger.

    You have a wonderful studio :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great space, I love it! Thanks for touring us around and for inspiration. Have fun in blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your space. I love the stack of vintage suitcases as well. What a great room to create in!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your space and it is so organized too. Come on over and visit my studio at:

    http://judysturman.typepad.com/in_his_grip/2009/01/stitches-by-sturman-studio-makeover.html

    I am lovin' this party!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice space. I love the vintage style. Thank you for sharing!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  16. The suitcases, the red wall, and the counter tops are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jane your studio is wonderful and so is the beer crate. What a neat piece.

    Cathy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that you have incorporated your special family treasures and mementos into your studio space. Your portrait wall is a great idea. I have used family items in my space too, I think I'd like to borrow your idea and add a few of their photos to the displays too. Thanks for the great idea and for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. great vintage inspired space that cabinet above your desk is awesome TFS
    Lynn-trashtotreasureart

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful my friend. That cabinet you have on the wall is 2die4. Love it all!

    Thanks for sharing with us all!

    xoRebecca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jane, I love your work space. That giant cubby cabinet is amazing!!! I love the whole vintage feel of the room! Thank you so much for coming to my party. You have really helped make it a great success!

    Karen
    My Desert Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't it nice to have a special space for creating? And yours is so organized!
    I didn't get my studio photographed for this event, but I am having a giveaway on my blog this weekend for "Christmas in July". Stop by if you like PINK! :)
    ~Becca~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your space is both entirely functional and marvelously timeless! What a fantastic idea to utilize crates for shelves. I love it! What a beautifully creative space you live in. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance at this lovely event; please do stop by for a visit soon!

    Enjoy the party!

    Warm Wishes,

    Natasha
    www.lifeafterdarkjewelry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great Space. So neat and organized. Love the red wall and the frames. Love the crates too for shelving. What a great place to create.. Thank you for sharing. Keep Creating!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jane
    Thanks for sharing your spot. It is a very welcoming place! I love that you got going with a blog for the creative spaces. I did the same thing!!
    Am impressed at the picture of your son. Does he race professionaly? We participated in the Race Across America last summer.
    Thanks again!
    Lynn
    alittlebluesky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome to blog-land! You have a wonderful space and did a great job of sharing. I especially love that red accent wall with all the frames. The whole room is very inspiring, it's great to have a room all your own, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Jane,

    What a nice studio...I see that Singer Featherweight machine! I have one too. ;0) Everything is so organized..very nice! Thanks for sharing.

    I would love to have you drop by to see my "studio in progress". I've just recently moved into my home and I've been remodeling for going on three months. I'm almost finished. (I think!!)

    See ya,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful space to create in!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely space and so organized. A girlfriend after my own heart!
    bunny hugs,
    shell

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jane,
    Welcome to Blogland! You have a lovely blog.
    I enjoyed the tour of your studio...it's beautiful. I love your red and browns...so warm and cozy.
    You have so many wonderful pieces in your studio...love the antique mail slot and using crates for shelves is so creative.
    Thanks for visiting my studio post.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a friendly, cozy space! I love all of your vintage things. It gives your space a lot of character. Also, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the nice comment ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your studio is very pretty. Did you just paint the red part of the wall under the family photos? I like that your room is also a getaway - retreat area. And, 3 windows? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Welcome to blogland! Your studio is beautiful-I love your vintage collections. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Okay Jane, I'm back in your creative space again and you had my FULL attention when I saw your little metal flower frogs, vintage suitcases, vintage clocks and your vintage mail tray. Heck girl, I love it all!!!! I love your hubby's idea of the prefab countertop and the idea of hanging your Mom's quilt she made you. Your space is so personal...that's what I loved the most!
    I enjoyed my visit and it was so nice meeting you!!!!!!
    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love your beautiful creative space, I am a lil late to the party ( I would drive that lil white bunny with a clock crazy :) But I am so glad that I made it to yout studio, I just love it and all the wonderful details. Rose

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a fun and inviting studio you have - I love your antique dress form and old suitcases. Thank you so much for sharing your space!

    :-) Molly

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!