Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Thrifty Thursday / Back to School

I am happy to join Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for my 2nd Thrifty Thursday. Check out all the thrifty finds at Leigh's blog: http:/lbratina.blogspot.com

Since school starts in our neck of the woods next Monday, my thrifty finds this week are all school related.

What's school without textbooks? I got these vintage school books for $1.00 apiece.

I found this great vintage loose leaf notebook for $1.00 at an antique store. This notebook was filled with recipes from the 1940's (I haven't tried any of them....I'm not much of a cook).

While vactioning in Ohio this summer I found this cute old wood pencil box for $2.00 at a thrift store. The division worksheet card was in a set I found at a garage sale for 50 cents.

This vintage slate board was $3.00 at an antique store. I'm going to use this to display my grandmother's grade school class photo from 1915.I put all my school finds in this "Back to School" vignette. I purchased this small vintage suitcase at a flea market for $5.00. The other items in the display (not mentioned above) are a vintage ruler (50 cents), a school picture of my father-in-law (circa 1933) in a thrift store frame (25 cents) and a copy of my grandmother's grammar school diploma (1920) with a class photo on a clip board that I've had for years. The small banners belonged to my neighbor when I was growing up. They were in her high school memorabilia from 1931.
Happy Back to School!!!!

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,
    What a fun post on back to school. You have found some 'cool school stuff'. I love that little pencil box. How cool that the notebook has the name still visable.
    Smiles,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, I am in awe over a post of yours! I love th eidea od the chalkboard and the class photo. I hope you will share that! I have been so busy of late, please send me a link when you do so I will not miss it. I also love the speller book...You got some cute things! Thanks for linking up today for Thrifty Thursday! I am so appreciative!
    Leigh
    Tales from Bloggeritaville
    lbratina.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like your idea...I'm inspired to do some rearranging with my vintage clothing. Come on over and sit a spell anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT display of old school books in that suitcase! Love it.

    I have some music books from about that same vintage which I showed in an earlier TT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The items grouped together look awesome. I was blown away that you got the slate for 3 bucks. WHAT A FIND!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool post. Love all of the vintage school goodies. The slate is a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the old school vignette -- how sweet and nostalgic. Just lovely.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane~ Thanks for visiting me today.Wish I was in missouri, my daughter & son inlaw are going to school there. The books in the suitcase are displayed so cute. Have a nice day:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun vignette! You should scan the recipes and post them on your blog. I love those types of things, but I think mostly, I love the handwriting :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful finds. I love that you have grandma's school photo to put on the chalk board. That is a great idea!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I am here from Brynwood Needleworks blog. Donna named you as one of her faves and most inspirational so I had to come and explore! I love your finds and need to read a little further. Thanks for all the pictures of your treasures. The back to school items are just charming. You HAVE to try some of the recipes in that notebook. My girlfriend found an old recipe in a home she bought and remodeled for "potato chip cake"!@#@! She made it for a girls night, and it was really quite wonderful. We felt terrible for making fun of it so. It is still a great giggle for us. Ok, be back again soon. Sincerely,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have some great stuff. Love the old textbooks.

    Ally

    ReplyDelete
  13. I swear........school supplies are one of my all time favorite things, but I don't have any VINTAGE things.......whew..I'd better get on it.....ASAP!

    Blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post. I also wanted to let you know that I absolutely love your snowmen. They are sooooo clever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just had to say I love the background an new header! They're so pretty together.
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. HOw did I miss this post ??? I love the display you have created - super cute and smart - I give you an A +++++++
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!