Monday, September 28, 2009

Craft Show Thrifty Treasures

First I want to say thank you to EVERYONE who visited and commented on my post about the antique door that I acquired from my Dad's childhood home. I spent the day with my Dad yesterday for his 80th birthday and we had a lot of fun reading through all the thoughtful comments. I appreciate the time that everyone spent to leave a comment and the wonderful ideas many of you had on how I could incorporate the door in my own home!

This week is going to be a crazy one.....I am trying to get the final projects finished for this weekend's craft show, the one and only show that I am going to participate in this year. I thought I would show you what I have been working on (some of these have been mentioned in earlier posts). Almost 100% of what I use to create my projects comes from thrift stores, garage sales or flea markets. I like the idea of recycling "discarded" items and it helps keep material costs low.

I have several snowmen I have created using old bottles and salt and pepper shakers. They are embellished with vintage earrings, keys, watch faces, buttons....whatever I have in my stash of goodies. The glass cake plate I have them displayed on was a garage sale find for $1.00.
These snowmen were made using old silverplated salt and pepper shakers.I have several framed key projects that I made out of thrift store frames, burlap and flea market keys.
I found some wood blocks at a thrift store.....with some black paint, scrapbook paper and wire picture holders I made some Halloween picture holders just waiting for a favorite halloween photo. The wood cake plate was also found for $1.00 at a thrift store....some black paint was all it needed.

I recently posted about the pincushions I was making out of old silverplated cream and sugar bowls...here's a few more that I recently finished.

For a simple project I glued silver bales to black Scrabble tiles (game found at a garage sale for $1.00)....inexpensive ball chains complete the necklaces.
Finally, I have several altered bottles for both Halloween and Christmas. I recently posted about these bottles using graphics from The Graphics Fairy.

I'm looking forward to this Octoberfest show.....my mom and brother are both participating in the show as well so we are bound to have a great time....even if we don't sell anything!
I know I'm late.....but I'm linking my thrifty finds with Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality for Today's Thrifty Treasures. Head on over and check it out!

31 comments:

  1. Girl, you are definitely going to Sell your stuff! I am in LOVE with those snowmen and I WANT to buy some!! I LOVE them!!!!

    And the keys, burlap, lock? Want that too!!!!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The snowmen are adorable! I love the one with the black hat and brown scarf. He has such a personality...where are you selling them? I also love the salt & pepper ones. Very creative. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all, but those silver plated salt and pepper snowmen are sooo adorable!! I'm sure you'll have a great show, I hope you sell out.

    That's funny what your son said about the title of my post today. That sounds like something one of my kids would say to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh!!! WHERE is you Etsy store?! I love love love those Halloween picture holders, you could make one for every season! I can already picture a few place around the house.... Thanks for sharing- your great ideas are endless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. say goodbye to all your treasures...i know they will do great...good luck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything is going to sell like hot cakes! So cute and whimsical:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of your ideas! You shouldn't be worried about selling, you should be worried about selling out! :) Can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane,
    I knew you were talented but wow! These are all great, it'll be a sell out.
    But listen... those Halloween picture holders...that's the sort of thing I need for my cabinet cards (just not with spooky pictures).
    I'll be emailing you!
    a bientot
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun with your show. I used to do shows years ago and had a blast. Good luck even though you don't need it. You will sell out in no time!
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Jane, you will do good at this craft show. Your creativity is stunning. I love everything! I wish I could attend!

    Blessings~
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane...this will certainly be a successful show for you...your items are SO unique and crafted so well. You must let us know how it went! Good Luck, it will be lots of fun...Wish I could be there - those snowmen are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where in Fl is your trip?

    Love all your projects.

    Hey I am so busy I can't go look but I think you are on my list of people that doesn't have LINKS set up. If you go into my follower section and click like you are going to follow it will pull you up, sign in and then scroll down and you won't see a place with LINKS to your blog so no one can get to you. Go to your dashboard and go to accounts, you'll see your picture scroll down and look on the left side almost to the bottom and you will see LINKS add your blog.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, you have been a busy, busy girl! Your craft show should go over fabulously. I do love those S&P snowmen...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. never thought to use old salt and pepper shakers -- very cute!
    just stumbled on this and her today's post and thought of you ...
    http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a clever idea for those snowmen...I love all your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to come to the fair, darn I live to far!
    I can't wait to hear how it went! Take pictures, and have fun with your family!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are one talented, crafty lady!! i especially love those framed keys on burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loving those pincushions and framed keys...soooo NEAT!!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did not see your email...wanted to send you this link.....on using vintage doors...thought you'd like it!

    http://littlebirdiesecrets.blogspot.com/2009/09/antique-door-makeovers.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jane:
    Good luck with the October event. I hope you sell all your beautiful items! They're fabulous. Thanks for visiting my blog. I always appreciate seeing your messages. I'll be back to visit soon.
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wish I could come and visit! You have some great stuff there~

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW! You are so creative. I can't wait to go read the rest of your Blog...

    Have a great week,
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was just going through your Blog and I noticed our son's have the same birthday, August 3. My son turned 15.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh...you'll sell your crafts. They're wonderful and whimsical! Have fun with your mom and brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am dying for everyone of those salt and pepper shaker snowmen... can I order? Do you have on etsy? please let me know... thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the Halloween photo holders! Those are precious! And so are the liquor bottles. I'm so glad I was led to your site by MimiBellaBoo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jane,
    I know you are crazy busy this weekend. Hopefully the show went well for you. Of course it did! I'm sorry I haven't visited for awhile, but that haul from the last auction (insane, but worth it) has had me sorting, pushing, shoving...oh you get the idea.
    About Ohio, I was born and raised in Findlay, then lived in the Tiffin area for most of my life until I moved to KY about 17 years ago. Cedar Point was almost an annual event. So another thing in common! :)
    Later Gator,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awwww, JANE!!!
    I am so sorry that I missed you~ you have created the most wonderful pieces! Did you have a pretty good turnout? With all of those awesome treasures, I'll bet you were the hit of the sale! I really wanted to come see you, I was only a couple of blocks away, at the library! I know, the weather was pretty gloomy and I did notice that the sun started streaming in at about 4ish..... Murphy's law, huh?
    Anyway, I mean it... come over next time and we'll get together.... or at least give me a heads up via email and we can meet up somewhere for lunch or whatever!
    Looks like you had a ball making all of your goodies... You are so creative!
    Hugs,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Jane!! Stop by my blog page for a surprise tomorrow morning! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jane,

    You cannot know how much you inspire me, but I just adore to drop by your blog. It is hands down one of my favorties!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Jane!

    What a clever girl you are....what wonderful projects....Love all of them.

    Blessings,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!