Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Holiday Idea #2 - Gift Card Packaging Ideas

There's a new party on the block.  Jan @ Bobbypins Boardwalk is hosting a weekly Wednesday party called "The Boardwalk Bragfest"  This is how Jan describes the party:
"Link your favorite project, whether it's a craft, DIY, recipe, furniture revamp, gardening sculpture, landscaping, poem.  No restrictions.  The "Boardwalk Bragfest" is your chance to show us your talent, and we would love to see it!
I am pleased to join Jan for her first Bragfest.  You can link to her party here.
Today I'm posting about gift cards.  I would imagine I could do an entire post on the pros and cons of giving gift cards for the holidays. But love them or hate them, they are definitely big business.

There are a few people on my shopping list who receive gift cards from me because it works best for both of us. But just because I'm giving a gift card doesn't mean I can't jazz the gift up a bit! So today I thought I would post some ideas on how to "dress up" our gift card gifts (ignore the fact that I used the same Blockbuster Gift Card in all of my photos!). Don't worry, these ideas are all very inexpensive.

Do you have a seamstress or crafter on your gift list? How about taking your JoAnne's, Hobby Lobby or Michael's gift card and putting it in a jar of buttons. Decorate the jar with some lace and ribbon and top it off with a measuring tape and button. I found all of these items at thrift stores for under $3.00.  (This idea would also work well using coffee beans in a jar with a Starbuck's gift card).


What about a book lover??  Gift cards to Borders Books or Barnes and Nobles are popular.  I found an inexpensive book at a thrift store ($1.00) that had previously been a library book.  The library check-out  envelope was still in the back of the book.  I carefully removed the envelope and moved it to the front of the book and made it the holder for the gift card.  I stamped Merry Christmas on the envelope and added a little gift tag.


My sister lives out of town and I typically send her a gift card to a favorite retail store.  This year the card is going in style.  Just last week I found this vintage shoe form for $3.00 at an antique store.  I added a little bling to the front with some vintage earrings.  I still need to add a high heel to the form (I'm going to get a pair of high heels at the thrift store and take the heel off one of the shoes).  The gift card fits perfectly in the front slot of the shoe form.

We all could probably use a gift card to the home improvement store.  If you have someone on your list who wants a Lowe's or Home Depot card why not slide it into a vintage folding ruler.  I've seen prices all over the board for one of these but I found some at a flea market for $1.00 - $1.50 apiece.

Is someone you know having a baby?  Add a gift card for baby items in an old baby shoe or tie it to a glass baby bottle.  This shoe could be further embellised with jingle bells or a pink or blue ribbon for the laces.

How about the camera buff?  Gift cards for picture developing or photo books might be welcome.  Adding the gift card to a thrift store frame makes for a nice little gift.

These are just a few of the ideas that I was able to get pictured.  I know you will be able to come up with your own ideas and I would love to hear them.  Leave me a comment and let me know how you give your holiday gift cards.

Happy Shopping!

Jane

52 comments:

  1. So sweet...a great way to personalize a gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great idea. I give a lot of gift cards throughout the year, and actually never even thought about that!!! I LOVE the sewing one with the buttons. Beautifully displayed. Thank you, as well, for the post about the boardwalk bragfest. No reason to be humble on Wednesdays anymore (haha)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas. I love the gift card with the frame - very creative.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you posted this! Thank you for linking to the bragfest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cute ideas and thanks for telling us about the bragfest.
    Think I'll go brag a little. =0))

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane -

    Great idea and I love to give gift cards! I love the book idea and the gift card with picture frame.
    Toni
    The Tattered Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Jane this is over the top. I just LOVE it! Very very creative. I will definitely be using some of your ideas on this.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning, Jane!

    This post is full of sweet ideas for gift-giving. I really love the library check-out envelope... and the vintage shoe form is a great gift itself!

    So nice visiting! ldh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such fun as always...:)
    Living it up at Lakewood,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post. I am in the gift making mode and you have given me some great ideas. Thank!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane,

    I just love your ideas! They are all so creative and affordable. I do end up getting gift cards and will have to "borrow" some of these great ideas! thanks... Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay Jane, here's the deal.
    Here I am at Silver Bella for the weekend AND I'm learning even more wonderful ideas from YOU too! You are soooooo creative, do you sometimes scare yourself??? ;)
    You are at the top of my list for the most inspirational and creative blogs!!!

    You have made me love giving gift cards even more!!!!

    everything vintage

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great ideas...isn't it fun to "dress up" simple gifts?

    ...and HOW did you get the gift card inside that small bottle?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome ideas! So creative and outside of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome ideas! Love them ALL!! Girl you are just soooooooo talented and creative!!!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane, these are incredibly clever! Just precious ideas. Thanks for making me think outside the box. These are great results and so creative.

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. too FAB for words! do you have one for a 9 year old boy and 13 yr old girl? oh pleeeeze!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What wonderful ideas! I love the thought of framing one -- it's like two gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How neat are these ideas! Being a book lover, I think the book idea is great! I know yours had the pocket, but I guess you could make one out of card stock.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! Such fantastic ideas for a truly personal gift giving experience. Fantastic! You are always creative and inspirational. Blessings, :) Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your interest in the homemade beauty recipes. You can find some of those recipes under LABELS in the "beauty and skincare" link. I will have to post the rest. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow great ideas! I'm thinking of a box of biscotti and attaching the Starbucks gift card for coworkers who loveeeeeee Starbucks. Thanks for visiting me and congratulating me on my win of the Frog Tape. You have a lovely blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What cute and creative ideas for gift card giving.
    It makes it so personal :)
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful and useful idea :)

    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute idea that I haven't seen before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jane,
    Your always full of wonderful ideas! Maybe it's time to write a book, I would buy it! XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for posting this! I am giving my daughter and sil their gifts early this year as they will be up over Thanksgiving, and I've been trying to figure clever ways to "wrap" both gift cards and a check. This has got me thinking - and I need to get to the thrift store.
    Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so glad that I found your blog!! You are so stink'n creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are SUCH a rock star for coming up with these super cute ideas! I love the way you've personalized the gift card thing, it's a much needed tutorial!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jane all these ideas are so cool. I love the shoe form and the old book. That's just amazing! This gives me such wonderful ideas. Thank you so much for sharing your great talents.
    Hugs,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  30. How ingenious! Love all of these ideas but the buttons in the jar are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great ideas!! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These are all such great ideas - so well thought out and creative! Sometimes I feel like giving a gift card isn't really as personal as I would like and this gives me some ideas to solve that problem! Thanks...

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such unique ideas! I love them all. If I were to choose just one it might be the old library book idea. I just thought that one was extra cute and cleaver.

    Your ideas should do make giving a gift card much more personal.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous ideas! I love the antique shoe thingy one, that is going to be so chic! I'll never give a gift card in a boring envelope again!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such great ideas! You are so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very creative ideas. You are one talented lady. Thanks for all your sweet comments.

    Take care,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic ideas! You're so good at repurposing those thrifty finds and sharing your cleverness. Thanks!

    Christine

    P.S. I have one slot left for the 12 Days of Christmas ATC swap if you think you can swing it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. So Cute! Love your gift giving ideas. Thanks for the nice message you left on my blog...I just became a follower too.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Jane...

    I hate to admit it, but I've NEVER thought out of the box before. What clever tips. I'm going to have to give those 'ol gift cards much more thought from now on. ;-)

    Warm hugs,
    Spence

    ReplyDelete
  40. You are just so dang creative!!! I loved all your ideas. I love getting gift cards can then I can get exactly what I want. But I would love them more if they came all wrapped up so creatively. Thanks for sharing your ideas. And thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment on my mantel. I just posted my china hutch today.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my gosh Jane! I could do some of those! I am a fan of gift cards at Christmas. I think I am going to start looking around for creative ways to gift them this year.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  42. you are sooooo clever, i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. jane, those are such fabulous ideas! I have to try that this year. I'm realy short on time for shopping this year, and since you can now buy gift cards of all kinds in a grocery store, it's a one-stop shopping at it's best. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  44. these are darling! love the baby shoe idea! you are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Jane!

    I love these ideas! Now you got my brain whirrling with ideas! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  46. These are such awesome ideas Jane!! So much more fun than just getting the card in a little envelope.
    Thanks so much for leaving such a sweet comment on my blog. After getting that head cold last week, I thought I would be good to go for awhile, but my daughter came home last weekend from college and brought the Swine with her. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is a fantastic idea! I love it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks so much for your sweet comment!! I appreciate it:)
    ~Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  49. Awesome ideas! You are good. Gift cards are a great gift, but they can feel impersonal. I love how these elevate them to something that took thought and effort, but still allows the recipient (who may be very picky) to pick something they love.

    ReplyDelete
  50. What a great idea.

    I hope you will post this to my Its So Very Creative (mon but up on Sun) party

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!