Monday, November 9, 2009

Holiday Project #1 - Wire Picture Holders

As I mentioned in my post last night, I have decided between now and Christmas to post nothing but holiday decorating, craft and gift ideas.  My goal is to make these projects simple, quick and inexpensive....something I think we all want during the busy holidays.  So here's my first easy holiday project that could be adapted for year round use.

We've all seen these picture holders at various stores (you can see I got this one at Goodwill):

I have purchased these and cut off the picture holder part to use in several different projects.  Here's a picture of some Halloween picture holders I made with wood blocks, scrapbook paper and a wire holders.
                                   
                                      
But since these holders aren't always the easiest to find (at a good price to cut apart) I decided to get some wire and make my own. 

I purchased a roll of 18 gauge wire (110 ft. of wire for under $5.00 at Lowe's).  I typically start with a 12" piece of wire for each holder so you get a lot of picture holders for the money.  I had my son take pictures of me making a holder...hopefully this will make sense.

The first step is to bend the wire at a right angle at about the middle of the cut piece.

Next, turn the piece towards you so the bent piece is facing you.

Find something round that you will wrap the wire around to make your circular photo holder.  For this project I just used the glue stick I had in my studio.  For the smaller circle you will see in pictures below I used a Sharpie marker.

Holding the glue stick at the bend of the wire begin wrapping the wire around the glue stick, away from you.

Wrap the wire around the glue stick twice.


Slide the glue stick off the wire and you should have something that looks like this.

With wire cutters cut the tail that was left hanging after you finished wrapping.


With round nose pliers, curl the remaining part of the wire tail around towards the circle (This step is decorative but also keeps you from having the point of your wire exposed.)

 

And here is the finished wire picture holder

The length of the wire can be cut to fit your project.  With the larger ones I made last night I created this using an old wood spool, a scrapbook paper scrap and a sticker:

And using the smaller wire holders (using the Sharpie marker) I was able to take one of my altered bottles (this one is Halloween) and turn it into a picture holder (I plan on doing this with some Christmas bottles).

Or how about sticking one in one of the holes of a vintage silverplated salt shaker.  These would be great for pictures in the dining room or name plates for a holiday dinner.

Once you make some of these you will be seeing all sorts of possibilities to create picture holders out of everyday objects.  They are not only decorative but could make great gifts too.

I am posting today at Just a Girl for her "I Can Make That" Party.  There are a lot of fabulous ideas posted so go take a look.

57 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I LOVE the halloween picture holders! You have given me a lot of inspiration :) Your son did a great job taking pictures :)
    Toni
    The Tattered Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I love the one in the vintage bottle....I have a lot of those laying around. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my paper tree! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I am looking forward to reading all your ideas~

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this!!!! So clever and adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These picture holders look great. i LOVE the one using the old wooden thread holder. i have a bunch of these lying around. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning sweet Jane...

    Now, that's an AWESOME tutorial.....I was smackin' myself upside the head when I saw that you had clipped off the tops of discarded photo do-hickeys......I have pitched loads of those things...doggone it. :-) Ahhh....but then came the tutorial. I can do this! Thank you ever so much.

    Have a great week.

    Hugs,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE THAT! Just the fact that you used so many creative sources for the picture holders and then decided to make your own. How ingenious! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane!

    what a wonderful tutorial! Thnaks for sharing this! I love all the unusaly items you came up to show!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thank goodness you figured this out- I was having a hard time finding one of these under $20!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane those are so cute.Very creative, as always. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jane,
    I love what you did!! pat on the back for figuring out how to make the wire photo holder!! I love the blocks the most!! How cute are they!!!
    Bookmarking Mamie Jane's right now!!! I'll be back!
    Mama Holli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very professional looking. I'm very impressed. Thanks for the tutorial. Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve! I must become a follower! :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane!

    This is a wonderful idea! I am going to make some of these. Great gifts. How sweet of you to take the time to post these for us, especially at this busy time of year! :) I'll be looking forward to some other great tutorials. Thanks again!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for your wondeful comment! I'm so happy I found my way to your blog, gosh you are so talanted! I love all your ideas and the inspiration you give. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jane, thank you for visiting Christmas Time Magic and leaving your lovely comment. I think your card holders are really inspired. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. Beautiful ideas. Hugs, Margie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute! The possibilities are endless. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very, very cool project! Your ideas are always good. Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very clever idea and I love the way they can be added to so many different things. Fun!

    pk @ Room Remix

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great project, thanks for showing us how to do it! I often find those larger holders are too big and get cluttered-looking, so I like the option of being able to make a single one or a pair. I'll definitely be bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic idea! I'm going to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're so creative!! What a great idea. I love them coming from the salt shakers! I'm taking notes here girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a fabulous idea! And I just love all of the amazing items you have made with these! Wow - very creative.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just started following your lovely blog - no idea why I wasn't following it before now!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping by and leaving SUCH a nice comment and that you chose to become a follower. I truly look forward to getting to know you and learn from all of your creative ways!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jane: What a great idea!! You are right! The possibilities are endless!!! I am looking forward to more!!

    I have tagged you for the Kreative Blogger award!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another great idea by you! I just love your crafts and I am so glad you will be posting so many! Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  27. that is the cutest idea ever!!!! thank you so much for the birthday wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea... I am glad to hear you will be posting more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Jane,
    What a great project! I could think of many uses for those! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Please post this to the Celebrate the Holidays party and I have a give-a-way.

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  31. i had to literally shut my mouth -- amazing! those halloween wooden blocks are actually lovely. i'm glad you talented people are out here for the rest of us to be inspired by. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Jane,

    This is soooo clever! Perfect for photos and Christmas cards, tablescapes...really functional for sooo many things!

    Jane @ Finding Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love this.... You did a wonderful job and it's a great project! WOW

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this! You do some amazing projects with wire. I have a hard time keeping my wire from bending every which a way. I haven't forgot my award. I'll do a post real soon.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my goodness. You are good and so creative! I just love your stuff. You'll have to e-mail me when you complete you little chalkboard table. I'd love to post it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  36. BY the way, can you shoot me an e-mail? I have a question for you and I couldn't find a way to e-mail you from your blog. marian@missmustardseed.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great tutorial Jane. I have always like these, but never what the actual wire was mounted on, you have freed me! I see many of these in my future, being held by all sorts of lovely objects.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely love that. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jane, thanks for the tutorial. I never find those picture holders at the thrift store, but now I can make my own. Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Jane,
    You know I love these but I know I couldn't make them myself.
    Are you making them to sell, peut etre?
    They would be perfect for my cabinet cards.
    Please email me.
    Maggie @ Normandy Life

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you for the tutorial. 18 gauge wire is awesome! You can make your own plate hangers with it.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Jane,
    Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. Who would have thought you could use so many different items as picture holders. Love, love, love the wooden spool, so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great tutorial and idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. looking through your blog. love the blocks with the picture wire. did you mod podge these?

    ReplyDelete
  45. Found your blog via The Graphics Fairy. I love your picture wire holders - So Creative!

    Thanks so much for sharing.

    http://cinnamonpink.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  46. I don't know where I was 2 years ago, but I'm THRILLED with your blog and your generous tutorials.

    I've been wondering what to accumulate to make something like this ... thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is a great idea I cant wait to try it out ,thankyou for sharing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  48. What type of wire did you use? Aluminum? I love this idea but the wire I bought kept snapping?

    ReplyDelete
  49. Fab ideas!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Love this blog, wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this idea, it's so simple!
    thanks for sharing!
    -MJ
    marleeandyou.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi, This tutorial was very helpful. Any suggestions for wrapping the wire around a rock? I can't get it stay together. Keeps falling off. Thanks for any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Great tutorial! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!