Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Bargain Barn

On my lunch hour today I shopped at a "Bargain Barn", a store full of closeouts and overstocks.  The store had a HUGE supply of hardware.  Most of the nuts and bolts type of hardware was sold by the pound.  It was really interesting to look through the pieces and think about how they could be utilized.

After browsing the aisles for almost an hour I came home with a few unusual hardware pieces that I thought I could use in various projects.

These pieces were marked "Bearings".  I loved the silver and black finish and the raised design on these.  They measure 2" in diameter.

I thought the bearing was very pretty on it's own so I took one and simply hung it on a black ribbon.  A super simple jewelry creation.
I took a second bearing and glued a button in the center.  I then glued a pin on the back and I can now wear it as a brooch or pin it to the center of a rosette.

I have several old bubble glass magnifying paperweights that I have purchased at thrift stores and flea markets over the past year just waiting for a redo.  I took one of the paperweights, a bearing and one of the keys I purchased in London for a third project.
After layering the bearing and the key on a copy of a vintage London map (I ended up not using the dictionary paper for this project but the vintage London map instead), the map was cut to fit the bottom of the paperweight and then glued in place.  I love how this paperweight showcases one of my thrifty London finds.


 These pieces I found were marked Leg Inserts.  They are about the size of a quarter.
The shape reminded me of a flower so that's what I turned them into.  I took some wire and wrapped it around the top of the insert and then twisted the wire to create a stem.  I added a button in the center of the "flower" and then grouped three "flowers" in an old wood spool I decorated with some black paint and scrapbook paper.  I then tied the three "flowers" together with a piece of vintage lace.  The bouquet now sits on one of the shelves in my studio.

I found and bought more interesting hardware items today but I'll wait and share those later.

I'll be away the rest of the week for a business meeting.  I hope you are enjoying your week.

Jane

41 comments:

  1. Jane Jane Jane, I just love the way your mind works!
    We used to have a"Bargain Barn" but they were really rotten thrift stores that were so dirty you hated to touch anything, they have now been shut down for good reason.
    Your barn sounds amazing, I love getting inspired from the hardware aisles.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those flowers. You're really being creative girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, Your cleverness puts us all to shame!! Hardware-whodathunkit?? I love the paperweight-now you got me lookin'! Your little gadget flowers are so cute too! Keep inspiring! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this sounds like a fun shop! Just love the hardware pieces...so graphic...your creations are so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very, very cool! I love this idea! When I was a little girl we had the most smashing hardware store in a neighbouring town - the kind where you stepped up to the massive wooden counter to be served. I love poking around in those kind of stores and you have inspired me to get out there again and go browsing. Thank you so very much for rekindling a fond memory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane:
    I think my favorite thing would have to be the paperweight. Beautiful and clever! I can't believe how perfectly the bearing piece fit inside the glass! The necklace is cool, too!
    Have a good trip. See you again soon.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, I can't get over how creative your mind is. You are such an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you think of these things? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW...you are one creative lady! I just love all the things you come up with. You inspire me.
    Have a safe trip and looking forward to more creativity when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh gosh i love the paper weight and those flowers!!! how cute. what a imagination

    ReplyDelete
  11. bing bang boom ... you've got lightening speed ... I'm trying to stay caught up ...
    everything is a.d.o.r.a.b.l.e.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just always in awe of the great things you do with the simplest things that most of us would overlook!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jane,
    Looks like I better head to the hardware store!!! You amaze me with your creative uses of such ordinary things.
    I adore the paperweight and the flowers in the spindle are wonderful. You should sell these!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jane,
    Jeepers, you are something else. I think you need to start contributing these ideas to a craft magazine or start selling on etsy!
    XoXo
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love to see the clever things you come up with! You really have a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sitting here trying to pick a favorite, but they are all fabulous! So many creative ideas from such simple hardware... you are the Junk Queen! Queen of all Upcycle Land! Love them all Jane... can't wait to see more! Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are one clever gal!!!! The button flowers are great!!!!!!!!!!
    Antique Rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok Jane I need to spend one day shopping with you to hopefully absorb some of your insight! This is so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are just so creative! Who would have thought a piece of hardware would make for such a gorgeous necklace! And the key paperweight is so perfect!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love it!!! You are so clever, an inspiration every time I visit!!!
    That is very sweet!
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd say your vacation really recharged you. Love your new creations!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Clever girl...seriously you are scary smart. Have a great week♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  23. You.Are.Killing.Me!! You have now taken HARDWARE and made it a fashion statement!

    This is AWESOME!!

    I am lacking on so many levels....

    Great job!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The greatest treasures come from simple things...Wow! you are sooo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant once again! Those bearings are pretty cool in their design. Love the paperweight and "flower" spool...adorable. Bead Unique magazine is having a Steampunk contest...maybe you should enter some hardware jewelry. http://www.beaduniquemag.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jane you are so amazing...you come up with the neatest ideas. When I saw the bearings I thought something jewelryish and I love the flowers and paperweights...enjoy, I know I enjoy seeing all your cool creations. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Jane, I am always amazed at the things you make with the stuff you find. I really like the spool and flowers. They look so aged I love that. And the paperweight what a cool way to display such a wonderful memory. Have a great week.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, you just had your eyes wide open on that trip, Jane! : ) I too thought that one bearing would make a nice pendant and I love what you did with the glass paperweight ~ very creative. The "flowers" are very imaginative!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great creativity, love those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love all of your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow--simple finds--fabulous crafts. I think the necklace with the black ribbon is my favorite--so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  32. ADORE the necklace - you are too clever...and the "flowers" are so cute ... always a joy to stop by and see what you have concocted :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Jane, You are truly amazing. I always enjoying coming to see your latest project. It's all fabulous. I esp. like the paper weight with old key and bearing. Great mind you have, girl!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  34. Jane, you are one clever, crafty lady. I'm always amazed at how you think of creative ways to repurpose things. Lovely! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the paper weight looks great! Love the way you took the parts and made them into flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow! Great ideas! I think this is the first time I find all equally cool and can't pick a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your projects! Especially the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So creative I just love your imagination!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jane, I love your 'out of the box' creativity! These are all clever. Have a great week. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, my goodness! You always wow me Jane :)
    I love that paper weight & the necklace. Just wonderful. They are better then anything you could buy in a store.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!