Monday, July 19, 2010

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday - Vacation Finds

We enjoyed 10 fun-filled days in Europe on our vacation.  Four were spent in and around London and Cambridge, three in Paris and three in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Luckily my friend Paula and I found some time in that schedule to travel to London to shop on Portobello Road.  
(Portobello road has been a market since the 1800's but became famous for its antiques in the 1950's. On weekends you can find the street lined with stalls offering everything from antiques to clothes, jewelry, ceramics, music and food.) 

After a 45 minute train ride from Cambridge to London and two subway transfers from the train station to our destination, Paula and I arrived at our stop for a full day of shopping.
It didn't take long to figure out where we were going once we got off the subway.....we just followed the HUGE crowds!  The crowds on the street on a Saturday during the height of tourist season are not for the faint of heart.  It was very hot and very busy but that didn't dampen our enthusiasm for hunting for some nifty, thrifty treasures to bring home.  Since I did have some luggage constraints to consider, I had to be selective about my purchases.  No big pieces to try and stuff into my suitcase! 
One of the first places we stopped was at this table of costume jewelry.  Piles of rhinestones! 
I came home with these two pieces.  I'm not exactly sure how I will use them but I think they'll be incorporated into a couple of new jewelry pieces. 
I fell in love with this store, Alice's.  They had some wonderful items inside but they did not allow photography. 
Inside Alice's I found this old apothecary bottle and knew it would be a great addition to my collection.  At the cost of 5 pounds I thought it was a good price so it came home with me.  
                         
I found an outside vendor selling silver pieces.  In one box he had several pieces priced at 2 pounds apiece.  I picked out these five.  I've got some projects in mind for these that I'll post about later.
There were lots of vendors selling scarves.  The vendor where I bought this scarf had a sign that read "Vintage lace scarves".  Nice try with the "Made in China" label but I thought the scarf was pretty and I loved the flower detail so this made it's way home too. 
I have been wanting a cross for my silver chain and I found this lacy, silver cross that I was told was made in the 1930's.  There's no way of really knowing but I thought it was a pretty piece for the price of 10 pounds. 
I love old keys so I was very happy to find a gentleman selling old clock keys.  He was very sweet and told me how he cleaned all the keys before he brought them to market.  I got these for 1 pound apiece. 
As many of you know, I collect a lot of things.  I was very excited to find these two vintage hand mirrors to add to my growing collection.  They are going to be hung in my guest bathroom with the other 15 I own. 
I couldn't pass on these neat old Lexicon cards.  The lettered cards will be fun to use in art projects.  I think I'm going to frame the "E" card and add it to my wall of "E"s (another collection of mine). 
And last but not least....a fun, pink vintage clock to add to my clock collection.  I already have this on the shelf with all of my other vintage clocks. 
Wow.....I didn't think I bought that much until I wrote this post!  It was a fun day of shopping for my own kind of London souvenirs.

I'm linking with Linda @ Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.  Head over to Linda's blog to check out all of the thrifty finds.

Jane

44 comments:

  1. What a great shopping trip! You found some wonderful things. I looked up the value of a pound and it seems you got some good deals too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful finds! I cannot even imagine how much fun it would be to shop there...and how hard to restrain yourself because of the shipping/luggage factor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific finds--I bet you had a blast! I especially adore that cute pink clock--so girlie. Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Must have been a fabulous time...and lucky you that you had enough room in your luggage!! Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds!
    My sister lives in London, and this is one of our favorite way's to spend a day. I'll have to pop back in and have a walk about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,
    It's so hard to pick a favorite...they are all so COOL! Okay...my top three are...the sweet pink clock...the beautiful lace cross and that "COOL" apothecary jar! Thanks so much for sharing all your neat finds from your trip with all of us here at NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolute DREAM trip!
    Lucky YOU!!! :-)

    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip! I should have gotten tips from you before we made our trip there. We had a great time, but I would love to dip my hands into a pile of rhinestones like that! Glad to hear you had such a great time. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane,
    Oh what fun and what finds.....I went to a couple of flea type markets in Paris and Germany four years ago with my hubby....the stuff was so amazing, but a bit pricey I thought. I am so glad you took the time to go to this amazing market!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back Jane. It looks like you found some wonderful things. I love that cross, it is just beautiful. I love all of your pictures too. I am so glad you had a great time.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  11. That pile of jewelry and rhinestones blows my mind. You came home with some great things! That cross is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. See?? I told you- you have the best luck when it comes to thrifting! ;) You're halfway around the world and still scoring amazing deals!

    Great finds, I especially love the cards..

    ReplyDelete
  13. The old mirrors,keys, scarf and cards are my fav's! What a great place to visit and shop at.
    Warmly,
    deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane, you did good with your finds and kept them small. olive♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you had a nice time. Lots of wonderful things!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, Jane! You got some amazing treasures! I cannot wait to see what you with it all. You have such a gift for putting things together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The prices seem really reasonable. Lots of really pretty stuff, too! Hard to imagine that much good stuff with all the tourists! Can't wait to see your treasures in action! By chance is there is more to share???

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for taking us on your shopping trip with you. I enjoyed all the wonderful photos of your great finds.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful finds, Jane! How cool that must have been to shop for goodies in London!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Be still my heart...an entire table of rhinestones... OH MY! oh me oh my!

    sigh....

    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved your photos Jane!I was there in 2007 on a family break to London and it was top of my list to go there,it rained all day so was not a pleasant experience but it is a fantastic place,have you heard or seen the film "Notting Hill",it stars Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts and is set around Portabello Rd.!Love your pink clock and other finds,roll on more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Welcome Home, Jane. That market looks wonderful. I know you must have loved it. You certainly found some great treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You found the neatest things, all these treasures will be wonderful reminders of this fun shopping day in Portobello Road. That is the sweetest clock and what a cool apothecary jar...love, love love everything...hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, Welcome home! How I would have loved looking through that mass of rhinestone pins! The two you picked are so pretty! I like your mirrors. My mom has several hand mirrors hanging on the wall in her guest bath too. I think I have a picture of it... I need to look back through old pics.
    Glad to hear that you had a good trip and that you got to see your friends!! Can't wait to see more of your pics and hear more about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow you got some lovely finds. I love them all and especially the pink clock.
    Happy to hear you had such a good time on your trip, looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I knew you'd find some goodies...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You got my collective juices going!
    How fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What lovely treasures! I can't wait to see what you do with these finds!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love Porobello Road but those crowds can't have been fun.
    Looks like you got some good "stuff".
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  30. You found some great stuff Jane!!! I am so jealous. I need to go back to Europe some day just to shop. I went about 8 years ago but we went on a tour. Didn't have much time to shop. That is my one regret. So hopefully someday I'll get back there & do some shopping. But I guess that would take money. lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog & commenting. And I really am jealous of your stuff.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jane, Portobello Road is one of my favorite destinations when in London. It's such fun to poke around in all the stalls. Glad you had a fun time and returned with lots of treasures. I haven't been to London in many years. I think we need to plan another trip. ~ Sarah
    PS.
    I've been following you for months and have you on my blog roll, but just noticed that I wasn't signed up as an official follower on your sidebar. So now I'm officially there as well. Love my visits here.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've always said that if I was ever lucky enough to go to England, the place I want to go to most in the world, that I would pack the bare minimum of clothes, so that I could fill my suitcase with treasures! I love everything that you brought home, especially the pink clock, those cards and the rhinestone bling! Oh, and I'd leave clothes behind if I had to, in order to get it all home!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Jane,
    Looks like lots of fun and great treasures you found!
    XoXO
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  34. How wonderful it must have been to be able to shop in such a wonderful place. I can only dream.

    I love everything that you bought. The pink clock of course is a favorite along with everything else. I bet your suitcase was packed to the brim!

    Can't wait to see more.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those KEYS!!!!! LOVE THEM!! Love it all and I know you had an amazing time and made such wonderful memories!

    I cannot WAIT to see what you create with these treasures!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wonderful! Love the pink clock!! I do have the song Portobello Road stuck in my head now from Bedknobs and Broomsticks!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh how I wish I could go there. What a wonderful place to visit that would be. I just visited your WBC post. Love your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sounds like you found some great buys. That looks like a great place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sounds like a fun trip, even with all the crowds. Glad you did not get into a competitive buying frenzy. We bring home old clocks and often they are missing a key. To have one replaced often costs us $5 or more but I can't seem to find them thrifted.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I really enjoyed "our" shopping trip to London. I have never seen pictures of markets in London, so this was fun. You really did find a lot of pretties. I love the clock the most, although that pile of jewelery would have been fun. I had missed this post, and am glad I came back to find it. I know you have all kind of clever ideas for your London "finds".

    ReplyDelete
  41. That was a very successful shopping trip! Great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Jane,
    Can I use your "piles of rhinestones" photo in an e-Book I am writing about "Urban Treasure Hunting". I would be happy to provide a link to your blog in exchange for the right to use this photo.

    My email address is: davehconner@gmail.com

    The reason I am contacting you through this comments window is that I could find no other way to send you a message.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Best regards,
    Dave Conner

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Jane,
    Can I use your "piles of rhinestones" photo in an e-Book I am writing about "Urban Treasure Hunting". I would be happy to provide a link to your blog in exchange for the right to use this photo.

    My email address is: davehconner@gmail.com

    The reason I am contacting you through this comments window is that I could find no other way to send you a message.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Best regards,
    Dave Conner

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!