Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Having Fun With Halloween - White Wednesday

Last week Kim @ Starshine Chic posted pictures of some great Halloween decor that was being displayed at a store in her area.

This picture caught my eye.
I loved these little decorations and was inspired to make something similar.

Here's two of the pieces I've created so far.
These were super simple to make and I had everything on hand.

The base of the decoration is composed of three things:  wood block, wood candle cup and a dowel rod.

I always buy blocks when I see them at thrift stores.  They are a great base for a lot of projects.
Another thrift store purchase a few weeks back was a huge bag of wood candle cups.  I originally thought I would use these to make some tassels but I found they worked great for this project.
The first step is to paint all the pieces black. 
The paint job doesn't have to be perfect because after the black paint dries a coat of white paint is applied over the black.  Let the white paint dry and then lightly sand the pieces.  This allows a little bit of the black paint to show.  Then glue the candle cup upside down on the block.
Because the candle cup already has a hole in the bottom it is easy to insert and glue the dowel rod to the piece (I didn't paint the dowel rods because I knew I was going to be covering them).

The next step is to add some phrases to the block.  Because the blocks couldn't accommodate a lot of letters (I used rub-on letters), I kept my phrases short and sweet.  I thought the phrases looked lost on their own so I dug through my rubber stamps and found a square "frame" stamp that helped anchor the phrases.  For the final step, tie a bow at the base of the dowel.
Now it was time to decide what to put on the dowel.  I liked the idea of a vintage postcard and I found one that I liked on the internet.  After printing and cutting to size, I backed it with a piece of black paper attaching with brads.  The dowel rod slides between the two pieces of paper and a touch of glue is added to keep it in place.
Now the second one I made has a skull top.  I'll be honest, I'm not real sure about this one.
I bought a bag of skulls at Michael's yesterday with the intent of putting them in a glass jar.  Since they were sitting on my work top when I was making these I thought I would give one a try.  I poked a hole in the bottom of the skull and slid it over the dowel rod.  I added some glue to firmly secure it.

Many thanks to Kim for posting her Halloween decor pictures.  They definitely inspired me to create another decoration for my own Halloween display.
I'm linking this with Kathleen @ Faded Charm for White Wednesday .
Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday.

Jane

43 comments:

  1. Are you putting these in your show?
    So cute!
    Your studio just must be filled with drawers of odds and ends to come up with something so cool so quick.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, These are darling, love the skully with a bow:-) Great idea for card holders!
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun Halloween decor!!!
    How is your son's first year of college going?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Halloween decorations! I like them both but the postcard one is my favorite....hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, you and Kim are two crafty ladies! These look darling! Also like your lamp shade idea below. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very creative. I love it! Thanks for sharing.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are super creative and fabulous! I love the skull, he is a keeper for sure.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this. I love old fashioned and vintage style Halloween decor. This is so great. I like how you did everything and how it turned out. Great ideas.
    You have a wonderful blog too!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun and spooky project! Thanks for sharing such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like them. The postcard one is too cute. Not saying the other one is bad, just like the postcard better! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane,

    I love both of them. I especially love the postcard you used..such a sweet little witch. :0) The skulls are gonna look great in a jar too!

    I'm visiting for White Wednesday. I'd love for you to visit with me!

    Happy Day,
    Stephanie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea! How adorable and creative to use things you already had! I'll have to go back to Kim's post and check out those pictures again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with City Farmer...I would be 1st in line to buy your book!! I don't know where you find the time to create such clever decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jane,
    These little spookey blocks are so darn cute!
    You never cease to amaze me with the cute ideas that you come up with. I did see something similar in a shop yesterday. But, it was only the cube base with writing on it and it was $12.!

    I like your much better.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane ~ you are so talented!! Magazine worthy to me...wink, wink!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jane,
    Isn't that a great idea! I love the white paint over black, I need to try this project.
    Take care,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look great!
    Perfect for Halloween.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute! I love all the ideas you come up with! Halloween is one of my favorite times to decorate for. I would love to give these a try. Thanks...great photos and thanks for sharing how you made these.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything is great. Not so sure about a bowhead skull. Your mind just never stops does it? How wonderful to make things come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jane,
    These are so cute! I love the way the lettering and stamp fit perfectly in the block! You will be set for your show in no time flat!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it, Jane! This is my type of project, too. Love the words and using the frame stamp was a great idea ~ I thought it had all been one thing. Love the idea of the skulls in a jar, but I think it's cute {probably not the word to use for a skull on a Halloween decoration} here. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never think of white for Halloween-but it is a good contrast color!

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG!! You have really inspired me this morning...I must now RUN to my work table...THANKS!!!!

    Those are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, love your Halloween decorations...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eek...no really well done. You are so crafty! hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your enthusiasm with Halloween! Your blog it great, lots of really neat projects, I intend to come back and read more of it. Thanks for the nice comment on my blog today (WildRoseVintage). I know that I would not have appreciated that trunk 21 years ago like I do now. It was meant to be.

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look like they're fun to make and not too time-consuming... thank you for sharing with us how to make them! :) mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  28. JANE!!!
    You are just Amazing...Amazing Jane!!!
    LOVE all your ideas! How about an selling them to blog buddies!
    Warmly,
    deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for stopping. You have the best ideas, I love both of them, your booth is going to be a smashing success. You should submit your work to magazines, it is so original.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  30. How cool is this? I love how you made them 'yours'.

    I saw Kim's post too, and was overwhelmed at all the cuteness at that shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You always find the best uses for what you put your hands on at thrift stores! These are super cute little Halloween decorations. Tell me more about the rub on letters when you have a moment. (or perhaps a post for those of us who don't know!)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love it Jane!
    The skull head is a cutie...he's a keeper :)

    As for that lamp shade in your last post...I about fainted! Even though your hubs is shaking his head, I just might have to try that myself. I'm adding an old lamp shade to my thrift list!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are fantastic, I just love the little gal on the pumpkin! Oh, fan me now....I'm smitten. Heeeheheheh! You do such a great job, such creativity!

    May God bless your beautiful day sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my ever lovin' cuteness. Yours turned out adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love them!!! Ever since I posted the inspiration pics, I've been wanting to make my own version. I like your take on it as well as the original ones with the bats. I need to find me some candle cups & blocks now. Hopefully I find some this weekend and can make my own. And thanks for the shout out. I just wish I could be 1/10th as creative as you. All I can do is copy.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Jane those are so cute! I also have all those things in my stash even some wooden bats I got at Goodwill. Now I know what to do with them. Thanks

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks like you're an idea lady! These are sure cute! I like your lampshade organizer too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Jane,

    These are so cute! I especially love the little witch! Thanks for the inspiration, now I am off to check out your inspiration!

    Best wishes,
    Tammy

    p.s. the lampshade organizer is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Jane these are the cutest things. How do you ever come up with all the great ideas? I wonder if your brain ever goes to sleep? You are one clever (and talented) girl!
    I love your visits and am thankful for your friendship.
    hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
  40. ADORABLE... I was sharing some of your ideas with my daughter tonite... She's gettin' busy!

    Warm huggies,
    Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh this is way creative!! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your sweet blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! I'd also like to invite you to link your creations up at my link party - Fabulous Friday Finds! Hope to see you there!
    Hugs,
    ~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!