Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vintage Sewing Notions Shadowbox Cabinet

Sonia @ Creating Vintage Charm is hosting a blog party today to celebrate the launch of her new magazine Creating Vintage Charm.  The first issue of the magazine was just released and is available to order online.  It looks to be a wonderful magazine full of beautiful, vintage creations from a number of talented artists.

Sonia's blog party gives all of us an opportunity to show off something that has added a little vintage charm to our lives.  To participate, or to just see what fellow bloggers have created, link back to Sonia's blog.  It's sure to be a great party!

For the party today I want to share something I recently repurposed that added a little vintage charm to my studio and helped showcase something I love, vintage sewing notions.

My mother taught me how to sew when I was a young girl on this Singer Featherweight sewing machine.
My great grandmother (Mamie) taught my mom how to sew when she was a young girl on a treadle sewing machine.

And old census records document that my great, great grandfather (Mamie's father) worked as a tailor throughout his adult life.

  So it is no wonder that vintage sewing notions are one of my favorite collections.

When I found this little cabinet at a thrift store a couple of weeks ago I envisioned it as a display for a few of my vintage sewing notions.
The cabinet just needed a little facelift to give it the vintage charm I was looking for.
So I disassembled the piece, taking off the hardware, removing the back of the shadowbox from the cabinet door and disposing the "spices" that were displayed in the shadowbox frame.

I spray painted the piece Heirloom White and, after it was dry, lightly sanded it to reveal just a little bit of the original finish.
I covered the back of the shadowbox with a vintage looking piece of scrapbook paper and then sat down with my collection of notions to decide what to display in each little window.  The depth of the shadowbox was only a little over 1/4" so I was somewhat limited on what would fit in each window.

I chose some of my favorite pearl buttons,
 A piece of an old cloth tape measure,
A very old needle packet and needle,
A wood spool (I sawed the top off of an old spool),
 A small crocheted doily,
 And an old, tattered hooks and eyes card.
I glued my notions in place and screwed the back of the shadowbox back on the cabinet door.  The finishing touch was the addition of a small glass knob on the front of the door.
I love how the cabinet looks now.
 The white, distressed paint gives the cabinet a vintage charm that not only showcases the vintage sewing notions but helps pay tribute to my sewing heritage.
Have a great weekend.

Jane

45 comments:

  1. I love it too! It's perfect with your other notions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely awesome! Nice how you got rid of the two pegs on the bottom too, making it look vintage, but not so much country. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane:
    It's just wonderful now that it's had your magic touch! Thanks for sharing your process...and the information about your sewing heritage. I'm actually the first in my family! Although my grandmother is a crocheter, she never really sewed, and certainly didn't teach me. Self taught here...warts and all.
    Have a great weekend. Can't wait to see what you do next!
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always amazed at your talent in redoing a piece. This is so clever with the sewing notions in it. Love it and you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane ~ I knew you would come to the party with bells on!! This is so adorable!!

    Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,
    From kind of nasty to gorgeous!! A beautifully done project. Love it!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea with this cabinet! It's always nice to know about family history and why we do things. It gives us our passion.
    I'm off to visit the web sight.
    Enjoy your weekend,
    KarenSue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane...

    Love how your cabinet turn out, love all the small vintage items you put together.

    xxx
    Kirstie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous transformation! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! I think you've created a family heirloom. You should sign and date it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is such a great redo, I am loving it.
    I was thinking the other day about how you start from the beginning and share each step along the way showing it before in the middle and after.
    I am always in a sprint so I never get a before shot taken. LOL
    Thanks for always sharing such great ideas
    AMy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow I love it!! Such a great idea.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom taught me to sew on a Featherweight, too and I have it displayed in my craftroom. It still works like a charm! I love your sewing shadow box-I've also been on a shadow box faze lately. Love all your wonderful ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's nice that you can see the potential in things...the box was MADE to hold sewing notions!! It looks fantastic!

    xoxo
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely a gorgeous transformation. You are such a talented artist and your creativity/work should be published!

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a darling transformation. Love the glass knob and sewing notions. ♥O

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that came out so cute cute cute! I love it!

    -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE your "Vintage Charm"! The shadow box is so sweet. I love your Featherweight sewing machine. I have always wanted one. Lucky you!

    ~Maryjane

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fabulous transformation!! I just love your vintage sewing items and what a lovely way to show them off :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  20. my that's a work of art !
    thank you for sharing it ~

    ReplyDelete
  21. That really looks beautiful! What a great job you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. My mama did shadow boxes when I was growing up, and now she can't remember what she did with them! I wish I had one to display....

    ReplyDelete
  23. SO charming, Jane! I love it...you always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful transformation. Just love your creativity! You'd never know this was the same piece...great job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved your story about your family heritage of sewing. I loved..............the box of sewing notions. That is absolutely beautiful and I would love to buy one if you ever make another........would go perfect in my sewing room!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jane, I love all your vintage sewing notions and that cabinet is perfect for displaying them proudly.
    I am amazed at how you look at things and envision the potentials.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautifully done, Jane. You have such a wonderful sense of proportion and balance in all of your projects. You're the master of vintage display! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I truly love what you did with that cabinet. Being a sewer, I love all things sewing and especially anything vintage. I have my little collections in jars, but they show so much better the way you displayed them. The vintage white is so much better than the black. Great transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. CUTENESS!! You always manage to take a diamond in the rough and make it sparkle! Great project! Smiles, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG..I want that sewing machine! lol I loved every single picture you posted. I have a collection of buttons too. They are so much fun to display too. I also like to keep them in different jars. I had a fun time visiting you. Come on over too!
    Hugs,
    Janet
    Janet's Creative Pillows

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jane, this is full of vintage charm. I learned to sew on a Singer Feather Weight. My sister still has it. I in turn have my grandmother's button case. It's a small cabinet with three shallow drawers with compartments for buttons. Some of the handles are missing and the white finish is definitely shabby. At times I want to restore it, but other times I think leave it as is.
    This project turned out terrific. I adore vintage sewing items. ~ sarah

    ReplyDelete
  32. The transformation of that little cabinet is amazing! Love all the sewing bits, but especially the buttons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. what a great transformation! look prettier now! love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is just beautiful, Jane! You must love looking at it! What a great idea to put together something similar as a gift for someone who has collections like yours. Sewing works so well for something like this because look at all you were able to incorporate.

    ReplyDelete
  35. You sure know how to change an ugly duckling into a swan!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My mother tried to teach me how to sew, but I didn't get the sewing gene...can barely sew a straight seam.
    Your little shadow box is so cute...love all the vintage pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  37. This is just darling! I never know how to display vintage sewing notions. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  38. do you ever get tired of people telling you how inspiring you are?
    hope not!!!!

    you lead the pack!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It looks wonderful Jane. Perfect for displaying vintage notions. My dad made one of those shadow spice boxes back in the 70's. I wonder what ever happened to it :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh golly that is adorable! I love every little piece you used inside...and the little knob is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Jane, that turned out beautiful. I just love it.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  42. My mouth is just hanging open here, looking through your beautiful blog! I love, love that cabinet! You really have the gift of creativity!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesome idea for the cabinet...I love it! I have several Singer Featherweights and I use mine all the time. I prefer to piece quilts on an old Featherweight any day. Thanks for sharing your great cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  44. What a great shabby chic look! I am going to have to borrow this idea! THANKS for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!