Sunday, November 28, 2010

Papier Mache Christmas Cone Tutorial

A few days ago I pictured a papier mache Christmas cone I created inspired by a picture I saw on June's blog, Laughing with Angels.
This is the inspiration photo from June's blog.
When I saw the cones on June's blog they looked to be made out of the papier mache material I used years ago when I created papier mache Santa's.  I haven't made a Santa in many, many years but I still had a 5 lb. bag of the Celluclay II Instant Papier Mache I used to make them.  This 5 lb. bag cost me $19.95 around 15 years ago.  I'm not sure of the price now but it can be purchased at Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  It is also available in 1 lb. packages (I made 3 cones with less than 1 lb.)
The cones really are very simple to make.  Once you get the feel for the papier mache you will be cranking these out in no time!

In addition to the Celluclay II papier mache you will need a cardboard cone (I found these at Michael's.  They came in 3 sizes and I used the medium sized cone) and some Mod Podge.
The first step is to cover your cone with Mod Podge and let it dry.  Since the papier mache is wet, this step helps protect the cone from absorbing the water from the papier mache.

While the Mod Podge is drying you can make a batch of papier mache.
Following the directions on the Celluclay package, mix the dry papier mache product with the appropriate amount of water.
This is a picture of the dry, powdery papier mache before water.
Here's a picture of the papier mache with water added, ready to be used.
 Now it's just a matter of adding the papier mache to the cone, covering the entire cone.  (The thickness of the papier mache on the cone is probably around 1/4").

Have a warm bowl of water nearby to keep your hands wet as you add the papier mache to the cone. 
 Once you have completely covered the cone it is drying time.  I let my pieces air dry and it will take a couple of days to completely dry.  If you want to speed up the drying time there are instructions included in the package of papier mache for drying in the oven on a very low temperature.

Here are the dry cones.

At this point I wanted to add a papier mache embellishment like I saw on June's cones.  
I find it easier to add the embellishment after the cone has dried because the cone is much easier to handle dry than wet.  But you could add the embellishment at the same time you cover the cone if your prefer.

I took some of my leftover mixed papier mache (you can store unused mixed paper mache for days in a ziplock baggy in the refrigerator) and rolled it out to approximately a 1/4" thickness.
 Using a cookie cutter I cut out my shape.  I used a heart on one cone and stars on the other two.  Place the embellishment on the cone and blend the edges of the embellishment into the cone (make sure to have a bowl of water handy to help blend).
Now more drying time.

Once everything is dry, drill a small hole on both sides for a ribbon or wire hanger. 

At this point you can leave the cone as is or paint it.  The papier mache has an antique white color to it so I left it as is.  I also chose to dress the cone up a bit with some lace but this step is entirely up to you.  Since the top edge of my cone looked a little unfinished, I added some vintage lace to cover the edge.  I also added a second piece of lace with a Christmas ribbon slide for additional embellishment.
Here's one of my finished cones with some greenery and pipe cleaner candy canes added.

There are so many ways you could decorate these cones.  If you decide to make some be sure and let us see how they turn out.

And if you really get into covering things with papier mache, you can give these a try.  



These are some Santa figurines and ornaments I made back in the '90's.  
Using the same basic instructions as used for the cone, cover a styrofoam shape with papier mache and then add all the features.  After they are dry, paint as desired.  

Hope this tutorial is helpful.  If you have any additional questions just let me know.

I'm linking today with Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday  Diana @ The Girl Creative for Just Something I Whipped Up
and with Carrie @ Dittle Dattle for her very first linky party, Amaze Me Monday.

Jane

48 comments:

  1. Love your Christmas cones and the way you have embellished them too! Thanks so much for sharing your tutorial! Happy Holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane, The Christmas cones are wonderful and thanks for the tutorial. Your santas are the cutest little things. I hope you will join my linky party on 12/15. Happy Holidays!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was Fabulous Jane ~ Thanks for sharing with us, now if I can just finish up this mess I have (decided to DE-clutter my place) I may give it a try....
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness Jane I love your Christmas cones! I might just have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a wonderful evening.
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cone tutorial Jane, and I love the Santas that you made back in the 90s! I've got to add these to my ever-growing list of things that I want to make for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thinking I need to get down and dirty and goo-ey

    loving these

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane,
    This is a great project that I would love to do. All I have to do now is find the time.

    These are so cute!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, thank you for sharing the directions. The cones are very pretty and I'm charmed by each one of your Santa figures. You are very talented! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job on the cones and your Santa's are just darling.
    Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jane:
    Thanks for the tutorial for the cones. I'd never heard of the Celluclay II. It looks like fun! I also adore your santas. So sweet! You are a true talent, my friend.
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cones are so pretty! Thanks for the tutorial...it does look fairly simple. I love the lace, it really adds to the vintage look. Your santas are precious!I think my favorite one is the smallest with his little glases. Too cute! Thanks for sharing.
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are just too cool and the Santas are precious! Gosh, I remember the days when paper mache was just flour and water! Nice to know they sell some ready-made concoctions because lord knows what a mess flour makes in my kitchen!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial and pics! I've never played with Papier Mache but now Im inspired to give it a go!

    Abby:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. Those are so great. I used the same form for my project I shared at BNOTP. I would have never come up with what you did. I like your ornaments from the 90s too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! Thanks for the tutorial. These are so cute and I always wondered about that celuclay stuff! Your Santa's are very cute. They look like they were a lot of work. I'll stick to the cones to start. :) It's the details like that Merry Christmas slide you used and I loved the slide you used on that star ornament too that make your things so over the top special. Just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These cones are great! Thanks for the tutorial. Your Santas are adorable!
    ~Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've got to try these, I just adore them! Thanks so much for sharing the 'how-to'!

    Blessings'
    Catlyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous! I have never used paper mache, well maybe as a kid. Thank you for the tutorial!

    I am visiting from Girl Creative
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these! What a good idea. I love your little Santas too :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So pretty. I like the cones but I simply love the Santas! Paper mache is so much fun to work with.(-:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jane, they are so very pretty and "simple", love them-also with the trimmings, dear.
    Thanks a lovely turorial.
    Hugs,Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've inspired me!!! I want to do a wreath of some sort for my kids' bedroom doors. This is a project that they could even help with!!! yippee


    I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Santa's are adorable. I know I can do the darling cones. Santas, don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, Your cones are beautiful! I can't wait to give this a try! Great tutorial!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, I wouldn't have known those Santas were papier mache. This is so cute! I've never ever tried this medium, but this has me completely intrigued! Thanks for the tutorial, Jane!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my, I have not done paper mache since i was a kid.
    Now I want to head out to get them and create lol..
    The Santas are amazing..
    I would like to invite you to our blog hop this week at http://passionatelyartistic.com
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are so great! I've never seen this technique. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE paper mache - it's addicting! I really like the cone and the way you have displayed it!
    xoxo
    Pammy
    ps: you might want to check into my blog today....just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a delightful sight.. love your creative spark and thank you so much for poting this tutorial.. We'll all be able to make more beautiful from your willingness to share.

    Holiday Hugs
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing, these looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tutorial Jane, thanks so much for sharing! I have never used that stuff before. The Santas are too cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are amazingly creative!

    Thank you for linking up to the first ever "Amaze Me Monday" blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Jane...you've made it look so easy! I think I might try some of these for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love the cones--but the embellishments are what made it so pretty! Where do you get Christmas ribbon slides?

    ReplyDelete
  35. So darling! Who would have thought to make all of those adorable Santas? Well, besides you ;).

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful cones. And Santas. So talented--you. I'm enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome. I have always wanted to try paper mache and you made it look doable. Thanks.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fabulous tutorial Jane! Just perfect. I know you have inspired so many to try their hand at something new.
    That is so rewarding don't you think? I loved when a student of mine would get excited about a new craft,and you can tell by your comments there are some excited students thanks to you!

    xxx

    z

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are so creative, Jane...everything looks wonderful...thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Jane that is fantastic! I have not seen this done in years....WOW you really nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've never used this....you make it look easy! I especially like the santas and how each one has a personality of his own - great job on them!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I so have to make these!! I have the celluclay (I always use the coupon for that kind of stuff) I just passed up the cones yesterday not knowing what I would use them for and did I really need another project? Well YES I do! Thanks for the tip on the mod podge... and your santas are so cute! You are a wealth of inspiration and talent my friend! Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a lovely idea! Those paper cones look so beautiful. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  44. i have a bag of that stuff laying around in my studio somewhere...will have to pull it out and give it a try !! thanks for the idea..and love your's with the lace.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thank you Jane. I will definitely have to try this.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  46. When time allows I'm definitely making the cones! Thank you so much for sharing! I enjoyed your blog! You've inspired me!
    You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Finally! I bought 2 Santa's years ago made from papier mache. Always wanted to make them but did not know how. Can you please give me more info on making the Santa's.
    example like shape, form, etc.

    Thank you
    great site
    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!