Thursday, December 16, 2010

Book Art

I really like the look of old books, minus the covers, used alone or stacked as part of a display.
For part of a Christmas display I thought it would be fun to dress up one of these old books for the holiday.

This is a super easy and inexpensive project that only requires a book, a color printer and glue (and embellishments if you choose to use them).

Take an old book (can be easily found at thrift stores) and remove the front and back covers.  Make sure that the book's front page has no printing on it.
Carefully remove the blank front page.  You are going to print on this page and glue it back on the book so you want the page to be intact.
Find a Christmas image that you like.  For my book I used a Christmas Word Tree Printable that Tara @ Just Devine Style created for all of us to use for our holiday projects.  Thanks Tara!  Tara has a wonderful blog full of great projects and printables, make sure to check it out.
I sized the printable to fit my book page (a lot of the sizing is trial and error) and ran a copy on a regular sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.
Once I had the size I wanted, I aligned the book page over the printed area and taped (with as little tape as possible) the book page to the printed sheet.  With the book page secured, place the sheet back in the printer and run a copy.  The printed image will now be on the book page in the exact position that you wanted.
  Carefully remove the tape (the old book pages can be brittle so take your time removing the tape).  Run a line of glue (I used a glue stick) on the spine edge of the printed book page and glue back on the book.

With the image printed directly on the front page of the book, you've created a nice illusion of having an old Christmas book.
At this point you can leave the book as is or embellish with ribbon, tags, etc.
I had some vintage red seam binding and simply tied it around the bottom of the book.

Here's another one I did with an image from The Graphics Fairy.
This idea would also work well with a family photo.  In lieu of a frame, run a copy of a favorite family photo on the book page and reattach to the book.  Just a different way to display a photo.

I'm linking with a few parties tonight:
Debra @ Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Linda @ A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday

Christmas is rapidly approaching!  I'm not finished with my shopping and haven't even begun to wrap.  Family starts arriving this Sunday so I guess I had better get busy.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jane

44 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me! I just love the idea's you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH JANE THANKS FOR THIS IDEA
    I just had our family photos done and I HATE I mean HATE framed photos in my house. This is Truly a great idea for those of us who love the non-traditional way of displaying photos.
    YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane those are just so cute. I love the old look of the page and the books are great. Nice way to recycle some old books. Thanks for joining JFF!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane,
    I see you have been brainstorming again! This is a very cute and easy idea to copy. I love it. I can just see several of them stacked and on display for Christmas.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this idea, Jane! Very clever on getting the image on the book page. I'd never have thought of that, so thank you for sharing your tip. Love it! I know what I'll be on the look out for next Goodwill trip! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the BEST crafty project I have seen you do!I just love the second idea of the vintage santa and then to suggest old family photos on an old book.....so brilliant!Now to follow instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane what a wonderful and creative idea. I have a lot of old books....now I know what to do with some of them. Thanks for sharing.

    Enjoy your evening,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been poking around your blog and I seriously want to make one of each. I'll certainly be on the lookout for drawers, a stamp holder and old books. :-) Thank you for stirring up my creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The books are just beautiful, Jane. What a fantastic idea! Thanks for the very clear instructions.

    Happy Holidays!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  10. eeeeekkkk those are fabulous!!!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it Jane, this looks great! How fun to make "family" books:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. clev *er

    1.
    a. skillful or adroit in using the hands
    b. mentally quick and resourceful

    2.
    Jane
    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love It ~ now I wish I had a printer.... Have a great weekend
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a clever way to use old books! They look great!

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful idea! A clever way to display an old photo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so freaking clever! Wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh YES Jane.....I'm with Amy....THANKS for sharing this idea....I'm ALWAYS after alternative display options for family pics too....And this is PERFECT....!

    Both your books are GORGEOUS though I'm ESPECIALLY smitten with the Santa postcard....That's just TOO SWEET....!!

    Have a WONDERFUL weekend Lovey....!

    Cheers for now,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jane, you are one of the most creative people in the blog world...what a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jane, this is such a great idea...looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing your fabulous project!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute! I especially love the Santa image.

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are awesome Jane. I have been wanting to do some old stacked books for a lon time now, and this is the push I needed. I love how you made them perfect for holiday decorating.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome look Jane...love it! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jane,
    What a wonderful idea.....love it!
    Happy day!
    xojanis

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love this idea...the vintage Santa one is AWESOME! Thanks for sharing another great idea. I really enjoy your blog. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and happy New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love altered books and I love this idea! Simple, great instuctions that any one can follow. Your is a great blog! Enjoy the season.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my, I love this idea! I must visit her blog. You've come up with yet another delightful and creative way to dress up things in the house. And oh, I do love my books!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay so now I'm kicking myself for not picking up some books at the thrift store this morning. Love this look! I think they'd look perfect out year round with a variety of images. Once again, outstanding!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love this Jane! Your tutorial makes it look all too easy, you just always have the best ideas thanks for sharing them with us! Theresa xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brilliant idea! I love the idea of using family photos on these, thanks for the inspiration! Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a wonderful idea that can be used for many times of the year!

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your "coverless" books look great. Enjoy your time with your family...everything will work out and be great. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE books and this is a great idea for soooo many holidays! I'll keep it somewhere in my brain for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love this idea....we don't have a color printer, so I always have to send stuff with hubby to work to do my color printing :) The possibilities are endless! Thanks for sharing the how-to.

    Enjoy your company!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Another great idea, Jane! Every once in awhile I'll get a good idea and it exhilarating! You must be on high all the time! I'll check out Tara's site, too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks great, what a lovely idea....leave it to you to come up with another wonderful project. I love the way you create!!!
    Hugs,
    Margaret B

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like Suzan's (oldgreymare)comment. :)

    What I want to know is why you don't have your own diy show on HGTV!!!! ????

    Jane, truly, you are a creative genius! wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, Jane, those are great!

    Have a very Merry Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Okay, this is WAY too brilliant. I bow to your crafty coolness! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!