Thursday, March 24, 2011

Feedsack Container

I have a few old feedsacks that I've purchased here and there and I've been trying to decide how to use them.
   I started out thinking I was going to make a tote out of this one but midway through the project I switched gears and decided to turn the feedsack into a container (I'm not really quite sure what to call it so I'm going with container).

The feedsack was too long for what I needed so I cut the piece right above the outline of the U.S.
For today's project I only needed the Kansas Hardy Alfalfa part of the sack.
I got out my sewing machine and stitched the bottom part of the sack where I made my cut.  I now had a much smaller sack for my container.

I wanted the sack to have a hard, stiff finish so I could use it as a decorative container for any number of different items.
The product I used to do this is appropriately named....
I used this fabric stiffener years (and years) ago when I was making stiffy bows for baskets.  It worked great on fabric for bows so I thought it might just work for the feedsack too.  

I put my feedsack in a glass bowl and poured the Stiffy product all over the sack.  It's a bit messy but the best way to insure the entire feedsack gets covered is to put your hands in the bowl and work the product through the fabric until the feedsack is saturated.  

Now here's the challenging part......shaping the wet feedsack.  When this product dries on the fabric, the fabric is held in whatever position it was shaped in.  Since I wanted this to be a container I first put a paint can inside the wet bag and then proceeded to hold up the bag with whatever means I could come up with to help keep it's shape.

Here's a picture during the drying phase.
I let the sack dry all afternoon.  When the sack had dried enough to hold it's shape I took the clothespins off, took the can out and flipped it over to let the bottom dry (This is a good picture to give you an idea of how stiff the feedsack is after drying.  There is nothing under the sack holding it up at this point).
And here's the finished container.  
I know it just looks like a scrunched feedsack but it now has a hard finish and will always retain that shape.  I like the scrunched, folded look of the finished container and think it works well with the casual look of the feedsack.

I played around with what to put in the container.
Here it is holding a potted plant.
And here it is being used as a magazine holder.
I'm linking with some great Friday parties:
Debra @ Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Linda @ A La Carte for Junkin Finds Friday
and 
Jami @ Freckled Laundry for Air Your Laundry Friday.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Jane

43 comments:

  1. That is soooooo cool! I love it!!! Clever idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so "cool"! I'll have to look for some of that stiffener - looks like something fun to work with.
    When I was a child my mother & most people raised chickens, so feedsacks were used for any number of things. I think my mother bleached hers (Ralston Purina checkerboard) & made dishtowels from them. Some people had dresses made partly of feedsack fabric (printed designs) + partly regular fabric (matching solid color) - so cute! I have one of the checkerboard sacks, but haven't decided what to do with it.
    Jane-Jacksonville

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my what a neat idea. I love it. ~~Sherry~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane this turned out so cute! I love it with the plant! The droopy edges make it look like soft fabric. Great job. Thanks for being a great friend and participating in JFF. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. neat idea. i have seen them used to re-cover old chairs etc.....very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane,
    I had forgotten about this stuff...I had some for bows too:) This feedsack looks great...love how the plant looks in it.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! Of course!

    Blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea? Wouldn't three of them lined up on a shelf in a mud room or utility room be cute and useful storage?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute idea! I forgot all about those stiffy bows I used to make those too! This looks like the clothespin bag my mom always used. It hung on the clothesline.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool!

    I love your folding rulers, too!

    And, for sure, your taste in magazines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so clever, Jane! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How smart are you?!! I love this, I have a few bags I didn't know what to do with and now I might try that stiff stuff.
    Hugs from Florida~KarenSue

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh How I love your feedsacks! we don't get them here. Love what you've done to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Jane, love the feedsack container. I remember using stiffener on bows as well. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration on this project.

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jane,
    This is an idea worthy of trademarking! You are on to something and thanks for sharing this marvelous idea. I have many old tattered feedsacks and now I know what to do.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  16. You really know how to think outside of the box! Where can I buy the stiffener? Does it work on all fabric? I have a ton of drop cloth fabric!

    Nicely done! :-)

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  17. I swear you need to write a book with all these ideas you come up with for using things in a different way. Just great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jane...how creative love it!!
    Hugz
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Brilliant! I am going to come over and snag that Kansas planter! I have not found one with Kansas on it, and I love yours! So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is an awesome project Jane. You always amaze me with what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Soooo cute! jane, you always inspire!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you are so clever, what great ideas! They look super.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Inspirational as usual Jane! I like the plant in the bag best!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've seen these and now I know how to use them...thanks for the inspiration Jane. And, I agree with Kim, you need to write a book! Seriously. As a writer and editor, I am offering to help you with the editing (you don't need help with writing).

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love it as a plant holder...is that a ponytail palm?

    ReplyDelete
  26. How cute is that! Love the graphics on the old feed sacks and this is such a unique way to show them off. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I adore your inventive container ~ swoon!

    I am currently hosting an auction of vintage and antique linen treasures. Stop by and take a peek.

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea ~ love the magazine holder idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You never cease to amaze me, Jane! I am SO impressed with your creativity, as always!

    I've got some various sized feedsacks around the house, this looks like a great project for one of them. In fact, I've got a teeny tiny feed sack that I want to send you just to see what you come up with as a project using it! Will e-mail you about that ...

    Best,

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is awesome!!!!!!
    I have a feed sack and I'm going to make one too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am amazed. I have never heard of this product or this kind of project. Thanks for shaing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Jane! I am over here clapping and squealing... that is fabulous! Do you get tired of me using that word when I visit you? I just can't help myself, I will try to find a new word, I have used genius quite a bit, maybe crazy cool? I know it's technically two words... I will have to work on it over the weekend! Anyway, LOVE the bag, and you too, (genius girl) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. How fun is this. I've seen this used on doilies, but never on anything bulkier. This sack/container is really cool. Love it! Thanks for linking up with the party!
    xo,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a blast from the past. I too used that stiffy stuff to stiffen bows for baskets (I look back and they are really tacky now...lol)...Great idea you had with the grain sack...may try something like that myself..Thanx for sharing! Tiff

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is a great idea for all those less-than-perfect sacks...thanks for sharing!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is wonderful Jane..very clever idea. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very unique! It would add so much charm to a family room, or cottage/country themed house.

    Jocelyn
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. And the "Stiff" didn't make the sack look shiny or glossy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Stiff Stuff is absolutely wonderful and your project turned out great...I love it! BTW, you can feel free to just "drop on over" and touch all of my linens you want......and maybe sort them as you go???? :)
    xojana

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a super idea!!! I've got to find some stiffener!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Jane
    Another great project!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love, love, love this! I have a really cute small cotton bag that tamales came in that I have been wanting to do something with and this is just the ticket. Question - how much of the stiffener does it take? I just stuck a bottle in my Amazon cart and had a choice of 8 or 16 oz. I chose the 8 oz. thinking that it should be plenty for this project and I can get more if I like how it turns out and want to do more things. The bag I have is maybe 6"X10" or so; would you say I am on the right track?

    Btw, I just stumbled across your blog a little while ago and it has already made my favorite's bar. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!