Saturday, May 28, 2011

Repurposed Picture Frame turned Menu Board


The project I'm posting tonight was inspired by the Saturday Nite Special party hosted by Donna @ Funky Junk Interiors.  Eack week there is a project theme and this week's theme is:  traditional picture frames used creatively.

I have A LOT of picture frames (I'm too embarrassed to tell you how many).  I first started buying old picture frames when I was framing old family photos for a photo wall in my house.  I wanted the frames to reflect the age of the photos so I scoured thrift stores and garage sales, etc. on a hunt for frames.  The picture wall is finished but I keep buying the frames.....but how can you pass up an old frame for 50 cents?

For my menu board I started with this frame. 
 Someone did a lovely job on the embroidery piece but I was really interested in the detailed frame.
I also used this old cabinet door.
Notice the recessed area of the cabinet door?  The picture frame, placed horizontally, is a perfect fit in that recessed area.  Sorry no picture but it will make sense in a minute.

I painted both pieces white and distressed the edges.

Next I took two small hinges and screwed them on the back, bottom side of the picture frame.
I then placed the frame in the recessed area of the cabinet door and screwed the other side of the hinges to the door.
My next step was to add a small cup hook to each side of the cabinet door.
And then a small eye hook to the back, upper sides of the picture frame.
I cut a short length of chain for each side and attached the chain to the eye hooks with jump rings.  The other end of the chain was looped through the cup hooks (this is so the chain can be adjusted).
This is how the project looks at this point.
Karen @ The Graphics Fairy recently posted this cool old "Menu" typography on her wonderful blog.

When I saw this graphic I knew immediately that I wanted to use this on my menu board.
I printed it and inserted it in the frame.
 I also decided to paint the recessed area of the cabinet with black chalkboard paint.
 I don't do a lot of cooking so my menu board was really made to hold take-out menus.  But when I do decide to plan a menu, I can write it on the chalkboard.
I have a piece of old hardware that would be perfect to hold my chalk.  I am still deciding whether I want to add it to the bottom.  I'm going to hold off for awhile....I can always add it later.

I'm linking this with Karen @ The Graphics Fairy for her Brag Monday party.

Thanks for taking the time to stop by.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jane

54 comments:

  1. I think this might be one of my favorite projects you've done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. spectacular! so original - Jane, you have outdid yourself!
    amy of four corners design

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project! You did great again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project....of course. Could you email me a bit of your thinking processes...obviously I could use a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How clever...love this idea. I always end up throwing menus away, and needing them later. I am going to have to find the materials to make this - it is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane, that turned out so good. What a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks GREAT!! I wouldn't have thought to use a cabinet door in the mix, but it works so well! Where do you get your inspiration from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, this is really wonderful! It is so graphic looking! I really love this project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane this is a great project and I haven't seen anything like it before! Nice job! (I like the take out dinner part of it too!)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greaet idea! It is very cute and vintagey!

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever idea Jane! I've been searching for something to use in my office for a wall file. I think this could be adapted to be taller with several frame "file holders." Thanks for a great tutorial. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea! Great for menus but could be used for mail or any number of other things with or without changing the cool graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Because I have finally run out of adjectives..
    supercalifragilisticexpialidocious..
    xxx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jane,
    You ROCK! Where do you come up with these fantastic ideas? Just love it!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's another fabulous project, Jane! Due to a lack of frames and cabinet doors in this household, it will be a while until I can do something similar. I did have a hinge and a magnet though and after reading your last post, I went right away into the studio and made myself a picture holder :-). Thank you again for the wonderful inspiration!!!
    Have a great Sunday!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmmmmm.......Minsky's! Yum! Great idea for using a frame!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it, Jane!!! That menu typography is great and really works with the feel of your piece. What a happy coincidence that the frame fits right inside the cabinet recess. I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Jane, I absolutely love this! You are such a wonderful inventor. Maybe you should look into patents for your creations.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE this idea! We do take out a lot and I can see this in my kitchen rather than hunting all the menus in drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this! This is one of my favorites. All of your projects are so unique and so original! Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so clever Jane. Really, really like the take out menu part (although, I do cook quite a bit).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is there a gene for the Repurposing talent? Wish I had it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's like all the parts were made to go together. It just you to envision it!!! Great re-purpose!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, it is never ending. I truly am in awe of your creative mind. You come up with the most original and beautiful ideas. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  25. so genius of you.
    I think that the hardware would be a great addition to hold the chalk
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  26. There is no end to your creativity! Great project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. okay, YOU ARE A GNEIOUS!!! I LOVVEEE THISSSSSSSSSSS! new follower!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I so enjoy seeing how your projects evolve as I scroll down the page. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Jane, I just got to figure out how your brain works. I want mine to work like that!!!
    Awesome project my friend.
    hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great idea...it looks wonderful!
    I also loved your hinge photo holders too!
    You should have your own DIY section in a magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh girl
    You just never cease to amaze me. Does your brain ever stop??
    I guess you know you have really inspired me to think more outside the box than I did already!! =) (I just wish I would get as much done as you do!!)

    This is just too cute!!!!

    I am working on a little something (inspired by you of course) and hope to show it this week.

    I love sending my friends here cause it is always so fun to see what you have been up to.

    hugs, smiles, thanks, and blessings

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is genius!!! And great looking too! Love, love, love it!! Thanks for linking it up Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is fabulous! The cabinet door and picture frame were meant to live together.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You have got the coolest ideas!!! I just have to come back to your blog more often. You just gave me an idea for one of those receipt holders, the ones with the pointy ends from years ago!
    Thanks!
    Faye
    (wildrosevintage)

    ReplyDelete
  35. once again, my jaw juts hit my keyboard! truly...i'm catching flys here. wow...just...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just don't know how you continually come up with such clever, creative and CUTE ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG I love this too. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love it! You really made a unique piece!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is so fabulous, How did I miss this?! What a great idea, yep mine would have take out menus in it also!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  40. Jane, Jane, Jane, I am in love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Boy, is that ever cute! I see your darling picture on so many blogs!
    Fondly,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  42. Loved this project- so clever! But, I have to ask..what are you going to do with that sweet sampler? :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. your creativity is overwhelming !!! i just may have to make one of these..(and by the way...i too have tons and tons of frames..i'm telling you, we live the same life....)but you are more creative !

    ReplyDelete
  44. I love you project...
    and I really need one to my kitchen...
    and put on a lot of papers... bills...
    thank you for sharing
    brazilian hugs

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hey, I'm you 900 follower! congrats...

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is delightful. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  47. AHHH!! this is so great!! I soooo want to make one!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. It's official, you're amazing, Jane! I don't know how that brain of yours works, but you come up with most original creations.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This was an great idea! I liked everything about it. I'll think i have to try this my self.. Looks like a great blogg, i have to surf around.. hug from norway :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!