Thursday, June 16, 2011

Magnets, Magnets and More Magnets!

After I posted my "Vent Turned Into Photo Holder" project last week (posted here), I got a few e-mails asking what kind of magnets and glue I used on the hinge magnets I made for that project.

The magnets I use are from Walmart and come 50 to a package for $5.99.  They are pretty strong magnets and work well for most of the pieces I want to turn into magnets (and the price is right too).
The adhesive I use is Scotch Maximum Strength Adhesive.   There are a lot of adhesives that I'm sure would work, this just happens to be the one that I have had good luck with.
 Since I had both the magnetic buttons and adhesive out I decided to scour my studio and find some things to turn into fun magnets.  If an object has a flat back that the magnetic button can be adhered to and it isn't too heavy, it will make a great magnet.

Here are some of the magnets I came up with: 

More hardware....this time an old slide lock.
 An old wood handled stamp.
 Metal stencils.
 
 Old game pieces.
 A watch face.
 A decorated key.
Vintage earrings.
 Old locks.  
 To give you a better idea of the size of the locks, here's a larger photo of the locks on my "model", a vintage metal suitcase.
 For the seamstress of the family I made some sewing related magnets.
A small vintage doily and a button.
 A zipper pull.
And the tops sawed off of old wood spools.
And last, but not least, a 1" piece from an old yardstick.
After I cut the old yardsticks for my yardstick star project (posted here) I was left with a 1" piece from each yardstick.  The pieces were sitting on my workbench and magnets were a perfect use.

I have to admit, it got a little addictive looking for things to turn into magnets.
Do you have any other ideas?

I'm linking this with Debra @ Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday.

Have an enjoyable weekend.

Jane

32 comments:

  1. Fantastic! love the idea of using the lock. You have inspired me to make some more magnets too. Tamara x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute...I am off to get magnets at WM! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun. The zipper cracked me up, so unexpected! The yard stick piece is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think old knobs off of appliances would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these are wonderful! You sure do think outside the box -- loved the zipper pull and the spool tops!

    Best,

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  6. All such fantastic ideas and so simple to put together. Have a fabulous Friday. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, funny!! I too, am addicted to turning things into magnets. I've been creating vintage jewelry magnets for a while and selling them in my etsy store, but the other day, I made a bunch out of old keys some vintage game pieces, an old slide lock and buttons!!!! I wish I could say great minds think alike...but, you've got me beat on creativity on everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane ~
    You amaze me with your awesome ideas ~ Those are so cool and I love your vent idea ~ wowwwzaaa!!!

    Thank you for sharing with us :)

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. The metal stencils and thread tops my favs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! As usual, you inspire us with your creativity! Love that 1" yardstick magnet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it all!! I loved the earrings back when you did those a few months ago. And the game pieces are so cute. But the locks and keys and old hardware are so original. Jane, when are you going to open an etsy store?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the old wooden spoons sawed off and made into magnets.

    How did you saw them off? I would cut my hand off with an electric saw? LOL Not good with tools

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute! I am going to buy a pack of the magnet buttons and make some magnets. You have inspired me Jane!! This is a project even I can do! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are the magnet queen! I have never seen a metal suitcase before. That is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane, What a cute and creative idea! I especially love the locks and the zipper.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only you could be this creative! Love this..gave me a smile this am.
    Have a great weekend girlfriend..

    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh, what a cute idea! Have great weekend, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just found you and wow are you a very creative one. I spent a lot of time here reading previous post. Great blog!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am absolutely enamored with your new magnets, Jane! So original and fun. hmmm.... I think the SILs will be getting some similar to these for Xmas - what a great project. ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'd love to try making magnets. But I'd never come close to the unusual ones you come up with!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many inspirational magnet ideas, Jane! I've been catching up with your posts...LOVE the framed flag and the charming spice cabinet! Thanks for entering my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So creative Jane! I love that little zipper one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great ideas. I love the spool tops and the ruler.
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, these are vintage re-purposed at their best. So much prettier than plastic magnets and other new magnets. hugs♥O

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are great ideas...my favorite is the old spool tops!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How creative of you! Thanks for checking out my little red stool.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jane,
    I love all your magnet ideas.
    I did some key push pins for my washboard project a week ago.
    so fun!!

    hugs and blessings
    barb
    PS thanks for the tip on where to get magnets.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello, I just found you through Pinterest and couldn't get over to your blog fast enough! You have awesome ideas!!! A new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  29. As always...you clever girl! My favorite is the yardstick magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are all so great, Jane! And thanks for the adhesive heads-up, I'm always looking for a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Miss you, and your wonderful projects. You never ceased to amaze me.

    Hope you are doing OK. One day at a time.

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!