Sunday, August 7, 2011

Combination Bulletin Board, Chalkboard, Key Holder from Repurposed Items

That's kind of a wordy title for this post but I was stumped what to call this project.

I started with this wood board.  
The board is the top pull out shelf from an old desk (example below is from a desk in my studio).  I found the board for $1.50 at my favorite junk store.
Then I gathered a frame and some cork board.
 Some label holders and cup hooks (I painted the hooks black).
 And an old drawer with galvanized sides.
 I painted one side of the drawer with chalkboard paint and attached it to the bottom of the board.  Since the galvanized side is magnetic this can be used as both a chalkboard and magnet board. 
I added the framed cork board to the top of the board (you can see I used a different frame than what was in my original photo.  The heavier looking frame balanced the piece out better).
And then I attached the label holders and cup hooks.
 This is what the finished bulletin board, chalkboard, magnetic board, key holder looks like.  It could be used sitting on a countertop or hung on a wall.  I did add hangers to the back but since I'm not going to keep this piece I didn't hang it on my wall.  
I'm a day late but I'm linking this with Donna @ Funky Junk Interiors for the Saturday Nite Special party where the theme this week was chalkboards.
I'm also linking with Mary @ Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday 
and
Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.

You will probably see a couple of more chalkboard projects from me this week.  Once I got that chalkboard paint out I couldn't stop painting things!!

Have a great week.

Jane

33 comments:

  1. What a great project. Very useful with the bulletin board, key hooks and drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can no longer come up with enough new adjectives to express my amazement at your creativity..so from now on..

    I'll just say ditto OK? my brain is weary lol

    ditto Jane. :D

    xxx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ditto what Suzan said! Another amazing project. Have a great new week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful transformation!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your brain must go 100 miles an hour all the time!
    Love it!
    tot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jane I love it! I love the drawer at the bottom!
    Nice job...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...cute, cute, and more cute! You've got me thinking I need one of these in my vintage trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great piece, Jane! That was bigger than I thought it was! Love the multifunctionality of it. I could even see people putting labels in those holders "house", "car", "office" to differentiate keys. Very creative use for all these pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang girl, this is cute!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea Jane.
    LOVE that old galvanized drawer!

    blessings and have a super week

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, I was into the chalkboard paint myself today...so many fun things to do with it :)
    Great piece...functional and fun. Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great creation from the Queen of Ideas!
    Very cool and so useful!
    Love the tea cup story about your hubby's family.
    Take care.
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always know what ever you make will be wonderful, so it does not make any difference what you call it...You did not disappoint!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it very cute as always. can i ask you where you found the label holders ive been looking for them?
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm putting this on my top ten this week! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another fabulous project! Love it...will have to "pin" it and copy it. ;-)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well well Jane that was certainly clever thinking. It turned out so good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks SO great, Jane...you truly are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it! Another trash to treasure "Five Star" project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing. I love chalkboard projects and this one is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  21. GREAT transformation! ... love the combination of all ingredients!
    xo
    jill

    ReplyDelete
  22. BRAVO Jane....Another BRILLIANT project my CLEVER Friend....!!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What I like is the metal drawer that can be used for chalkboard and the magnet thing/
    I can't stay home long enough to make anything.

    or should say in the house , lawn mowing etc

    janice

    ReplyDelete
  24. Completely amazing!!! Thanks so much for showing all the steps. Kudos!
    M.L.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a great combination! I love that metal sided drawer. What did you do with the pull that was on it? And painting with the chalkboard paint was a super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh what a lovely project!!! Thank you for sharing the steps. So much fun to see it all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG, I am so glad I found this blog.

    The stuff that you have made is GRAND CANYON AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    tfs

    ReplyDelete
  28. I thought for sure you were making a piece for your son to take away to college. It's so versatile; you could use it in so many places.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I am so glad I found this blog.

      The stuff that you have made is GRAND CANYON AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Houston Furniture Stores

      Delete
  29. I think you are my people! This is so my kind of project. I have endless wood boards, culled from junk stores, pieces of furniture, and my most favorite, dumspters, where I find an endless supply of them. I pinned this and can't wait to try to make one myself. So cute, thanks for sharing. -K

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!