Saturday, October 15, 2011

Halloween Mantel

One of the advantages of gathering "treasures" all year is having everything on hand when it comes time to do a little redecorating.  Since the theme for this weeks Saturday Nite Special link party hosted by Donna @ Funky Junk Interiors is Fall Mantels, I decided to put some of my finds to work and redecorate my living room mantel for Halloween.

I had not touched my living room mantel since I took the Christmas decorations down last January.  I didn't take a picture of the "before" mantel but just imagine one picture hanging above the mantel, very plain.....funny how I overlooked how bad it looked all year.

So I went completely opposite for my Halloween mantel and I packed it with Halloween and thrift store finds.
I didn't spend any time making anything new for the mantel, I just gathered some things I had or had already made and went to work layering all of the pieces.

The first piece I added to the mantle was a large frameless mirror I bought at a thrift store for $2.00  Next I layered an empty black frame on top of the mirror and then added a painted canvas sign that was a retail purchase several years ago.
 Two old shutters (thrift store find for $5.00 for the pair) were added left and right of the mirror.  They have the perfect worn look for a Halloween display.
 Then I just started adding stuff......a "Boo" display I made last year, some old books, wire brush tree, candles, thread spool, and an altered cabinet card.
A vintage camera and skull.
And on the right side......more old books, candles, clock face, pumpkins, and my altered shoe form.
 It's quite a change from what I've been looking at all year and I'm happy with the new look.

To get a look at a lot of fabulous fall mantels, link back to Donna's blog.  Lots of wonderful inspiration!

Happy Fall!!
Jane

41 comments:

  1. What a great display, it all looks so wonderful! My mantel is linked up to Donna's party too, have a look if have the time! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply perfect and I love that shoe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Jane! The boo banner is so cute and the orange and black ribbon looks great with the shoe forms:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks so great Jane!
    Glad to see you are back and having fun :)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, it looks fantastic! You do wonders with your massive creativity.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make it look and sound wayyyyyyy toooooo easssssyyy! Looks great...tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Jane, you did a fabulous job with "what you had".
    It looks perfect. I love the skull in the display.
    Warm Regards,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fantastic, Jane! You have so many cute and spooky things on your mantel, yet it doesn't look crowded. The shutters are awesome and I love the witch sign! I really do love everything!!! Great job!!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are talented at making Halloween scapes! I love that you use different objects that go together for that special look! Do you decorate other parts of the house? Love to see it!

    Deb/aka zootsuitmama

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it looks great. I love the layering of things. I really need to do mine. I haven't touched it either since early spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane,
    Isn't great to use what we already have..your mantle is great! Love using frames too.
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome...really love the shutters. You have officially inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bottle brush tree, what a nice surprise to your Halloween mantel.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love this, Jane. those shutters add so much on "beefing" it all up! and cool last shot. can you tell me what you used for that great photo technique? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like Halloween has has arrived at Mamie Jane's...everything looks so cool together, but my favorites are the shoe form laced in Halloween colors and the orange bottle brush tree.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so cool Jane! I love what you did with the last photo, looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute Jane! I love how it turned out. My mantel is the hardest place in my whole house to decorate. I don't know why but it seems that I can never get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mantel looks fantastic. I love how you used the shutters. I had forgotten about those altered cabinet cards. They are too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! I just put together a Halloween vignette on my dining room table this afternoon. I don't have a lot but it was fun to make it festive! Thanks for sharing your pretty holiday decor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mantle is 'scary' and delightful. =O

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  21. THE MANTLE LOOKS TERRIFIC, LOVE ALL YOUR TOUCHES!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks SO great, Jane! I just love everything you've put together! Great photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great! We haven't such big Haloween in Germany, but time after time it's growing up to a big thing.
    Markus

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looks really great Jane! I'm sure you had fun preparing them. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You just proved that you should shop your own house first. What a fun and unique display!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love it! It really captures the Halloween "spirit".

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your mantel! The old shutters are a great touch.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jane, your mantel looks fabulous! I've never really decorated much for Halloween, but you remind me I do need to get my fall decorations out. Take care, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love it! So warm and festive (with a touch of spooky!). Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another job well done! Love your spooky mantel!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Jane,
    When you "just throw something together" from what you have on hand, we all know we're in for a treat (not a trick!). I love your mantle...
    Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love love LOVE your mantle Jane, especially the way you have vintage items like the camera and the shoe form in amongst everything!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, if I could get my display to look half as good as that I would be mightily pleased. Looks fantastic! M x

    ReplyDelete
  34. LOVE your Halloween mantle! That Happy Halloween canvas is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Jane, I've been a little MIA of late, but sure am having fun tonight catching up on your recent posts. You are busy as always! Such fun to see your Halloween mantel. Picture perfect! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!