Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Slaw Cutter Chalkboard

I hope you all had a good Wednesday.
After enjoying a 70 degree day on Monday, we experienced a dramatic temperature drop today with snow!  Crazy weather!!

I shopped a couple of thrift stores on my lunch hour today and the only thing I purchased was this small wood slaw cutter.  It's hard to tell from the picture but it only measures 12" from top to bottom.
I thought this would make a cute little chalkboard for my kitchen.  
This was an easy project that had few steps and took me less than 30 minutes to complete.

I first cut a thin piece of scrap wood to fit in the recessed area of the slaw cutter.
 I painted the scrap wood with chalkboard paint and used wood glue to secure it to the slaw cutter.  I thought the piece looked a little flat so I added a finishing nail to each corner.
 Finished project!
I also added magnets to the back of the cutter so I could hang this on my refrigerator.
I used four magnets to hold the weight of the cutter.

I've posted a couple of other projects in the past using larger slaw cutters.
You can find those projects here and here.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jane

26 comments:

  1. Cute, Cute, Cute Jane! I don't think I have ever seen a small one like that. I have one of the really big old ones- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you can think outside the box and create amazing things. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out so awesome, Jane...much more handy than an old slaw cutter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love 30 minute projects??? This turned out great! Good vision Jane!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Thrift store shopping around here had been pretty scarce lately. I keep trying to find good stuff though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute, I love how it has magnets to hang on the fridge. So handy, Jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your projects are not only useful but inspiring.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable little chalkboard. I just found your blog via Savvy City Farmer. so glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My motto....
    "It's not about what it is, but about what it might become."

    Good call on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Crazy weather here too. Last few days in the 80s. Yuck! Finally a front blew in last night and we are back in the 50s. Not ready to give up wearing my sweaters and jackets just yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear you had me with quick 30 minutes.... but lost me at
    I first cut a thin piece of scrap wood to fit in the recessed area of the slaw cutter.

    Looks fantastic, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a gadget called a slaw cutter? I could do with one of these. Great project. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane that is so cute! i love the chalkboard you added!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jane, that is adorable. Useful and cute . . . win . . . win :)
    Have a grand ole day, today.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very cute and because it's on the fridge with magnets you could always turn it sideways -- just in case you need to write 'chocolate' on the list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! What a creative idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So clever Jane! Love that you added magnets for the fridge. That would definitely come in handy in my house!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great project! You always find the best ways to recycle!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So enjoy seeing all your creative ideas. I looked back at your large slaw cutter and really like how that turned out. Would love to find one of those.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's so cute....and I have 3 or 4 of those cutters at the store, but hard for me to cover up that cute little blade. =/

    So glad for your posts.
    I'm on email sign up and every time I see your name pop up it makes me happy. =)

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jane!
    This is a great idea...lots of these at the shop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I want a slaw cutter...but i want it to cut slaw!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun idea! So clever and useful too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea! I will have to look for one of these. It would be such a great addition to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!