Sunday, February 9, 2014

Flea Market Style in the West Bottoms

One weekend a month, on the First Friday weekend, the Historic West Bottoms in Kansas City, MO becomes a paradise for vintage, antique, and junk loving shoppers.  Close to 30 stores open their doors over the weekend, most of them housed in old warehouses that were originally built for industrial, freight and agricultural purposes during the late 1800s to early 1900s.  Although each store has it's own personality, they all have one thing in common….a wonderful mix of antiques, vintage collectibles, repurposed furniture and fun odds and ends.  

Last summer, Flea Market Style magazine contacted me and asked if I would be interested in helping with a story for the magazine on shopping the West Bottoms.  Of course it didn't take me any time at all to say yes!  Not only do I shop "The Bottoms" every month, I've been a vendor myself for almost 2 years at a wonderful store, Bella Patina.  To be a part of the magazine, highlighting one of my favorite places to shop, was a dream come true!
So, on a hot, hot, muggy, muggy (can you tell I want to emphasize how hot and muggy it was) day last August, I took on the $250 Junk Hunt Challenge and spent the day perusing all of the stores in the West Bottoms.  I had such a fun day of shopping, and meeting and talking with other shoppers and vendors (you get a lot of questions when you're shopping with a photographer following you around).  And I am thrilled that you can read all about my day of shopping in the new spring issue of Flea Market Style magazine!
I'm not a fan of photos of myself but here I am with all the goods I purchased that day.
It may look like an odd assortment of goods, but they are just the kind of pieces I like to buy to use in unusual ways or repurpose into new pieces.

The story includes three quick projects using items I purchased that day.
I won't show them just yet, but will give more details in a later post.
Some of the larger pieces I purchased are still in need of a makeover and are perfect candidates for my "What's in My Basement" projects.  I'll be posting about them in the upcoming weeks as well.

The spring issue of Flea Market Style has started to make an appearance (one of the vendors at Bella Patina had issues to sell this weekend).  It's a wonderful issue full of great projects, fabulous home tours, top vintage finds and an inside peek into Ki's daughter's wedding!!

I want to thank the entire Flea Market Style magazine staff for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this spring issue.  It has been an absolutely amazing experience!

Have a great week ahead.

Jane

43 comments:

  1. Hi Jane,
    This is so exciting. I'm thrilled for you and I can't wait to check out the issue and read your story. I can't think of anyone better than you when it comes to taking junk and making something wonderful out of it.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow…congrats. This must have been really fun! I hope to find the mag this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds like it would be a hoot! what fun! and you got to keep the items?! even better! congrats all around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are famous, Jane! Sounds like a great article. I will run out and pick up a copy tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yahoo for you! Wooteroonie. WIll look for it this week :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must find a copy! Can't wait to see what you've upcycled!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read it.

    Smiles,

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe that I live about 45 minutes away and haven't been there shopping yet. Congrats on the article! I love that magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH I am so excited to see this, Jane! You must have had so much fun...and they couldn't have chosen a better person! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Jane! What a fantastic opportunity. This must have been so much fun. No wonder you're smiling so happily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cool! I will have to pick up a copy of this magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's neat! I think I'll try to get the magazine to read on a trip this week. My hubby & I love to shop at flea markets and have bought, fixed up and sold many items ourselves. He likes to work with wood items and I'm partial to linens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow..that's SO fantastic! what fun! good for you! i can;t wait to get my hands on a copy. well done! (you look adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, and you look adorable posing with your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your projects are always so clever and wonderful--I think you should be a regular contributor to a magazine. (As in, EVERY issue.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting~~~Congratulation!!! I'll be sure to look for the Spring issue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YAY! How exciting! That is my very favorite section of that magazine. I love to see what people can get in other regions. I always thought that would be so fun to do, I'm sure you had a blast. Congratulations!! I'm on the lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Can't wait to get the magazine, and I can't wait to see what you do with your purchases. Great pic! laurie

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh you are just too cute, and great finds!!!

    Congratulations on magazine. You deserve it.

    be blessed
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. WTG - Kudos to you being featured! How fun~

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun is that?? Now I am even more excited to get my favorite magazine!! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how fun! Congratulations! I will have to check out the article! That would have been wonderful to do! Look forward to seeing what you did with your finds in a later post!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun experience. I'll have to buy that issue! Are you from Kansas City? I lived there from 1999 to 2007 (or 2006????) and used to shop in the West Bottoms all the time. Of course that was a long time ago and before 1st Fridays became so popular. I shopped that architectural salvage store and at Curious Sofa (before they moved to Prairie Village) all the time. Is Bella Patina open regular hours as well as on First Fridays?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Can't wait to get my hands on this magazine. It is one of my favorite magazines. I absolutely love your blog posts and always amazed at your reinvented items. Congrats to you. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is AWESOME!!
    I'll be sure to watch for and get the new issue as soon as its here!!
    I'm just going to tell everyone I 'know' you!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this magazine and am even more excited to get my copy!
    Congrats Jane, so very well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm very excited to check out the new issue! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Jane, I was so happy to see you in the magazine. Glad they have "discovered" you. It was a great article.
    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW ... congratulation Jane. You deserve the honor.
    Hugs,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jane I can't wait to get my copy. Congrats on being in the magazine. So happy for you!

    xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  31. I live in Independence, and had no idea anything like that was happening in the west bottoms!. Guess where I'll be next month? Can't wait to see the magazine article, as well. Yours is one of my favorite blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How fun! I'm going to confess...I've never missed an issue, but I had been thinking of not buying them anymore. Guess that won't happen...at least for one more issue!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh yes I have been there once. It was a fun day for my daughter who is into retro.
    I need to get the new issue now for sure

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow Jane, congratulations!! What a wonderful opportunity. I'm sure it was great fun too!!

    Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is thrilling! And I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to get my copy. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooh, I'll have to find a copy! Can you believe I have not been down there, yet? Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrat's and that is so COOL when a blogging friends gets into a magazine that I love! I bet it was great fun to use their money:)
    Warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  38. OK, that was toooo fun!! I love that magazine and can't wait to read all about it!!! That was a lot of pressure to have to buy something and then transform it..but you were the perfect person to do it!! OK...So how hot was it lol!!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is awesome! What a fun experience and a real honor to be chosen for this feature. I still haven't picked up my copy yet, but looking forward to reading all about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hello Jane,
    CONGRATS on the feature!!! Looking forward to getting my hands on a copy and I am glad that they got a pic of YOU!!!! I got to meet Ki last Fall, just two weeks before her daughters wedding and she was telling all of us about how much she had to do, so I am looking forward to seeing some pics of it.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congratulations! I look forward to visiting the West Bottoms as my daughter lives in KC. She just had a baby and I see lots of trips in the future. I'm slowly finding all the wonderful places to shop and will definitely check out your items.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congrats on the feature, Jane. So happy for you and glad I found your blog again through Little Cottage on the Pond's blog so I can see your creations.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading all of your comments!